Job Vacancy | Friday, December 17, 2021
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years.
Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Energy Division (SAEN) within the South Asia Regional Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SAEN, is responsible for sector support for energy sector development in the SARD jurisdiction.The position is assigned in the Energy Division (SAEN) within the South Asia Regional Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SAEN, is responsible for sector support for energy sector development in the SARD jurisdiction.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Director leads the planning, implementation and supervision of the division's vision, goals, strategies and work plan in support of overall ADB goals; oversees the quality of work and ensures the achievement of objectives of the division; leads and supports external and internal relations, coordination and consultation initiatives for the department; leads and provides guidance on day-to-day operational issues and compliance with ADB policies; and works on problems and issues that may involve high risk. The incumbent will report to the Director General, SARD and will supervise international staff (IS), national staff (NS), and administrative staff (AS).
- Leadership and Strategic Management
- Leads, establishes, and cascades the division’s vision, goals, development strategies and key result areas (KRAs) in support of ADB's goals, departmental goals and in compliance with ADB policies.
- Leads the planning, implementation, and supervision of work plans as well as monitors the quality of output and the achievement of long-term goals and annual objectives for the division.
- Leads and identifies priority areas of work for the division in energy supply and usage with emphasis on and transition to low-carbon and renewable energy.
- Leads and provides leadership in professional and operational matters, taking the lead in contributing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
b. Country Partnership Strategy
- Oversees the quality of support for the Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) including in particular assessment of quality sector strategy and roadmap, and updates preparation and the effective functioning of related committees and networks.
- Coordinates with Country Directors (CDs) for the implementation of operational strategies.
- Guides the division to translate its vision and goal into robust project pipelines with upstream knowledge works and project development
- Collaborates with Private Sector Operations Department and Office of PPP in operations in terms of upstream knowledge works, enabling policy and regulatory environment, and joint or parallel operations.
c. Project Management
- Oversees the design and processing of loan/technical assistance (TA) projects to ensure compliance with ADB’s policies covering environment, resettlement, governance, financial management, and other safeguards.
- Ensures high quality of appraised projects in terms of all elements of project design, innovation and ADB’s value addition, result orientation, and policy dialogues.
- Leads ,monitors, follows up on and undertakes, for projects involving varying levels of risk, loan/TA approvals, engagement of consultants, procurement, and disbursements.
- Leads the administration of loan and TA projects, including regular fielding and at times participation in missions to monitor implementation progress.
d. Portfolio Management
- Monitors the quality and performance of all the loans/ TAs across all SARD DMCs, and undertakes corrective actions as necessary to maintain quality.
- Participates in Country Portfolio Review Missions (CPRMs) to review and guide country specific project administration issues.
e. Economic, Thematic and Sector Work
- Leads, identifies and anticipates opportunities and problems in the energy sector, and related climate change management priorities, and provides advice and information for policy discussions.
- Leads and manages the conduct of sector/thematic studies and ensure the proper dissemination of knowledge products.
f. External Relations and Coordination
- Provides support for relationship management, consultation and coordination with government, development partners, civil society, and private sector groups in DMCs in area of responsibility.
g. Internal Relations
- Provides support for relationship management and coordination with the Board, Senior Management and other departments.
h. Division Operations Management
- Leads the effective day-to-day operations and provides guidance on operational issues and ADB policies.
- Informs and provides recommendations to the Director General (DG) of significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in the area of responsibility.
- Leads and facilitates effective division coordination and cooperation with other ADB departments and internal stakeholders.
- Undertakes the management of the division, including the motivation of division staff maintaining good personnel relations, pursuing high performance in 360 degree feedback.
- Manages budget and resource allocations for the division.
i. Staff Supervision
- Creates and leads multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of work.
- Manages the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Coaches and mentors teams and individuals and ensures their on-going learning and development.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's degree, or equivalent, in engineering, economics, finance, business administration or related fields; or University degree and at least 10 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered;
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience in the sector, and in project management, processing and administration
- Broad-based exposure to policies and procedures;
- Familiarity with and experience in private sector and PPP financing of energy sector operations will be an advantage;
- Proven management and leadership qualities;
- International experience working in development in several countries;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required;
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 7.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.