Associate Investment Officer
Job Vacancy | Thursday, January 13, 2022
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Risk Analytics Unit (RAU) within the Office of the Director General (OPSD) of the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). OPSD-RAU provides first line of defense support for risk appraisal of new and portfolio private sector operations of ADB, especially risk identification, due diligence support, financial statement and financial model review, and drafting of risk appraisals. PSOD provides financing and investment support to private projects, corporates, financial institutions and private equity funds throughout developing Asia and the Pacific. We advise, help structure and provide and catalyze financing for privately held and state-sponsored entities across a wide range of sectors. Our emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB's organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. To learn more about PSOD, watch this video.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Investment Officer will conduct risk assessments and related due diligence work for ADB’s new nonsovereign transactions (loans, guarantees, equity investments), as well as assess risks in existing transactions. The incumbent will (i) review client materials, such as financial statements or technical reports, (ii) identify key risks and how to assess them (e.g. sensitivity analysis), (iii) recommend risk mitigation measures and transaction structuring inputs; (iv) prepare risk ratings and valuations; and (v) provide support for thematic or inter-departmental risk analytics projects.
The incumbent will report to Advisor, OPSD and Head, RAU and/or designated International Staff.
a. Risk Appraisal of New Transactions
• Reviews, assesses, and provides recommendations for key transaction risks, covering, inter alia, sponsor, commercial and structure risks in proposed financing transactions;
• Provides advice and recommendations to deal origination teams on appropriate risk mitigation measures, deal structuring, and financial covenants throughout the risk appraisal process; and
• Participates in drafting risk appraisals for nonsovereign loan, guarantee and equity transactions in both the concept review and final approval stages.
b. Transaction Monitoring
• Reviews monitoring documents for nonsovereign loan, guarantee and equity transactions, including transactions in remedial or recovery state, and supports the preparation of relevant risk appraisals or valuations;
• Evaluates and recommends approval for waivers, amendments, and consents related to various proposed changes to loan covenants and terms and; and
• Recommends risk mitigation measures including those relevant to covenant structures and security arrangements, as applicable.
• Cover a designated sector as a primary responsibility, together with a senior team member;
• Participates in selected due diligence missions;
• Assumes ad hoc project duties and other forms of assignments, as required; and
• Provides support to other divisions and units in PSOD as and when needed for special projects and tasks.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or relevant fields, preferably with advanced training, Master’s Degree, and/or qualification as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
• At least 6 years work experience preferably in international bank, rating agency, or multilateral/bilateral development organization, in risk management, deal origination or investment appraisal.
• Good familiarity with risk rating tools, and developments in the area of risk management.
• Good computer skills with sound knowledge of common word-processing, spreadsheets, power point, financial modeling and macro.
• Strong report-writing and communication skills in English.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.