Senior Investment Officer
Job Vacancy | Thursday, June 23, 2022
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This position is for outposting to Pakistan Resident Mission (PRM) and is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an external candidate, he/she may initially be based in HQ prior to be outposted. If the successful candidate is an internal candidate, the outposting will be immediate.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Pakistan.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position, which is outposted to Pakistan Resident Mission (PRM), is assigned in the Infrastructure Finance 1 Division (PSIF1) within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSIF1 is responsible for deal identification and processing, up to signing, for nonsovereign infrastructure projects in Central and West Asia and South Asia.
PSOD provides investment capital to private sector entrepreneurs, corporates and project sponsors, as well as financial intermediaries, such as banks, throughout developing Asia. It catalyzes, structures, and funds investments in privately held and state-sponsored companies across a wide range of industry sectors. Its emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB's organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. To learn more about PSOD, watch this video.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Investment Officer will 1) provide technical support and coordination in the processing of ADB’s private sector investments and technical assistance; and 2) participate and contribute in the identification, development, approval and implementation private sector infrastructure financing projects. The staff will report to the designated International Staff (IS) and may supervise administrative staff, and will have secondary reporting arrangements to Country Director on administrative matters.
Engagement with PRM colleagues, across functions, is a requisite of the position, with strong knowledge sharing, and involvement in a wide variety of Pakistan and the region focused ADB initiatives.
a. Project origination
• stays abreast of all infrastructure projects and borrowers in the market for financing
• generates new ideas for providing ADB financing
• assesses opportunities to efficiently arrive at their bankability and executability
• pursues clients to secure financing mandates to be able to commence execution and processing of transactions.
b. Project Processing
• Participates and contributes in the identification, development and processing of projects, leading the needed due diligence, financial and risk analysis and mitigation work towards the structuring of loans, bonds, equity investment, guarantees or other forms of assistance
• Independently applies proper risk management in projects;
• Contributes in the areas of credit and financial due diligence by independently developing financial models and in general assessing the risk and credit profile of proposed infrastructure investments;
• Reviews and analyzes financial statements and financial projections/models, performing sensitivity analysis and stress testing and making necessary recommendations;
• Participaties in due diligence missions and provide technical support and recommendations to Team Leaders;
• Undertakes relevant industry and country research as a part of transaction risk assessment and make recommendations to the project team leader;
• Independently preparesg the initial and final Concept Review Forms, summaries of project documents, risk assessment analyses and other required document throughout the project processing cycle;
• Independently engages with the Office of Risk Management and the Safeguards Specialists to address credit-related and other safeguards-related issues;
• Prepares presentation materials;
• Oversees the documentation and maintenance of comprehensive credit files related to transactions under processing.
c. Strategy and Planning
• contributes to the development of policy and strategies for ADB’s developmental goals for the private sector in consultation with relevant stakeholders
• assists in developing a pipeline of private sector infrastructure projects.
d. Others - performs other tasks as assigned and reflected in the workplan
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business Administration and/or Accounting, preferably with Master’s Degree of equivalent
• At least 10 years of relevant experience, preferably in project finance or corporate finance; and at least 5 years of supervisory experience
• Proven ability to undertake research and analysis on difficult but well defined tasks, collect and organize required data and information, apply appropriate computer skills in organizing and analyzing the data; and prepare notes, papers and sections of reports.
• Good analytical thinking with ability to comprehend causal links, make pros and cons analysis, and analyze factors to reach a decision.
• Effective report-writing and communication skills in English and Urdu.
• Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
• Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
• Strong oral and written communications skills
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 4
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package (click on Local Staff Field Offices). Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
The position is a local staff position with local remuneration package. It is open to persons who are both nationals and residents of Pakistan.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.