Associate Investment Officer
Job Vacancy | Wednesday, June 22, 2022
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This position is for outposting to India Resident Mission (INRM) and is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an external candidate, he/she may initially be based in HQ prior to be outposted. If the successful candidate is an internal candidate, the outposting will be immediate.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
PSOD provides investment capital to private sector entrepreneurs, corporates and project sponsors, as well as financial intermediaries, such as banks, throughout developing Asia. It catalyzes, structures, and funds investments in privately held and state-sponsored companies across a wide range of industry sectors. Its emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB's organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. To learn more about PSOD, watch this video.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position, which is outposted to India Resident Mission (INRM), is assigned in the Infrastructure Finance 1 Division (PSIF1) within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSIF1 is responsible for deal identification and processing, up to signing, for nonsovereign infrastructure projects in Central and West Asia and South Asia.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Investment Officer will 1) provide technical support and coordination in the processing of ADB’s private sector investments and technical assistance; and 2) participate and contribute in the identification, development, approval and implementation private sector infrastructure financing projects. The incumbent will report to designated International Staff and senior National Staff, and will have secondary reporting arrangements to Country Director on administrative matters.
a. Project Processing
• Provides analytical support in the areas of credit and financial due diligence, review of contracts and project documents, development of financial models and in general assessing the risk and credit profile of proposed infrastructure investments in the form of debt, equity and guarantees.
• Performs analysis of financial statements and financial projections/models, performs sensitivity analysis and stress testing, in co-ordination with team leaders and external clients.
• Participates in selected due diligence missions and provides support to Team Leaders in negotiations with project developers, sponsors, and financiers to facilitate the financial closing of transactions and implement projects.
• Provides logistical support and interacts with external technical advisors, consultants and lawyers representing ADB in specific transactions.
• Under the guidance of the Team Leaders, undertakes relevant industry and country research, as needed, as part of transaction risk assessment.
• Assists in drafting initial and final credit memorandum, preparing summaries of project documents, risk assessment analyses and other required documents as may be needed from time to time throughout the project processing cycle.
• Interfaces as required with internal departments within ADB, including the Office of Risk Management and the Safeguards Specialists, and assist the Team Leader in addressing credit-related and other issues identified by such departments in respect of transactions under processing.
• Assists in creating, maintaining and updating comprehensive credit files related to transactions under processing.
• Assists in Investment Committee meetings and other meetings.
b. Project Administration
• Maintains a database of all project and financing documents relating to each project. Liaises with the central file keeper to maintain orderly electronically filed documents for each project.
• Undertakes all activities required to process disbursement requests, including verification of compliance with disbursement conditions and liaison within ADB and with cofinanciers. Verify fee computation.
• Monitors billing statements of Controller’s department and payments from the borrowers, and follow up on any delays in payments.
• Ensures borrowers’ compliance with covenants. Monitors and follows up on submission of financial statements, technical, insurance, safeguard, and other reports. Review these reports and draw to dealing officers' attention any perceived issues.
• Prepares memorandae to obtain management approval for waivers and consents requested by the borrower. Liaises with Office of the General Counsel, Office of Risk Management, technical advisor, and other relevant parties to consider such waivers and requests. Responds to other requests and needs of the borrower.
• Assists with the preparation of terms of reference (TOR) for the recruitment of consultants for the preparations of PSAs.
• Provides support in identifying a suitable consultant to address the specificities of the country.
• Provides comments / inputs on draft PSAs, bringing to bear PSOD’s experience in operations in India and make appropriate recommendations.
• Provides inputs for updates on PSOD activities to the Country Director, India Resident Mission.
• Provides guidance/coordinate the work of lower level analysts within the division.
• Performs other tasks as assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Management or Finance or related fields preferably with advanced training
• At least 6 years of relevant experience in the field of corporate financing or project finance with a leading international or local financial institution, and/or investment bank.
• Proven ability to undertake research and analytical work, collect and organize required information, and prepare sections of investment reports.
• Ability to analyze financial statements and projections.
• Excellent skills in written and oral communication in English.
• Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
• Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 1.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package (click on Local Staff Field Offices). Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
The position is a local staff position with local remuneration package. It is open to persons who are both nationals and residents of India
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.