Intern - Regional Cooperation and Operations Coordination Division, CWRD - 2320
Job Vacancy | Thursday, December 15, 2022
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
“Benchmarking the CAREC Program with other Regional Cooperation Initiatives in Asia”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
As part of the overall initiative to improve CAREC Secretariat functions, the intern assignment will focus on preparing an operations-oriented report containing an overview of other regional cooperation associations in Asia and benchmark it with the CAREC Program. Organizational structure, history, membership, funding, projects, cooperation and consensus- building activities, policies and procedures, and achievements of other regional cooperation organizations will be analyzed and assessed vis-à-vis the CAREC Program. Best practices in implementation of regional cooperation initiatives, will also be highlighted in the report, serving as crucial inputs to the continuous improvement of the Program. The report will also provide some valuable insights on future planning for the CAREC Program, and how to improve CAREC based on ADB’s operational priority 7.
The intern will also be expected to be included in the day-to-day activities of the CAREC program, for her/him to get more insight on how the Program is implemented.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: June 2023
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, depending on prevailing travel restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
An operations-oriented research report containing an overview of other regional cooperation initiatives in Asia, benchmarked with the CAREC program, with suggestions on how to improve CAREC.
Presentation of the report in a CAREC event.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in international relations, political science, development economics, or public finance.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Preferably with experience working on a research or development project in a CAREC country (Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, People’s Republic of China, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan). Experience working on regional cooperation initiatives within the region preferred but not required.
Excellent English communication skills.
Knowledge of the Russian language is preferred but not required.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).