Intern - Economic Analysis and Operational Support Division - 2321
Job Vacancy | Thursday, December 15, 2022
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Priority Setting in Health Sector Projects: The use of Economic Evaluation for Policy Making in Developing Countries"
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Resource constraints necessitates priority setting in health sector resource allocations. For example, evaluation of health interventions is needed to determine which interventions will work most effectively, to guide resource allocation. There are important challenges in assessing health outcomes and other impacts of health interventions in the context of developing countries, as the assumed benefits are not proven or that methodological issues including data limitations make economic evaluation particularly challenging. The study will identify the current approach, practice, and challenges with respect to conducting full economic evaluation (i.e., cost effectiveness analysis) to inform policies in low- and middle-income countries.
The candidate will identify relevant studies that focuses on using economic evaluation in health sector resource allocation particularly in developing countries and then conduct a systematic review of the literature. The intern will work on reviewing various approaches, methodologies, and issues related to program evaluation for health projects in developing countries. The intern will conduct systematic review of literature to examine the use of economic evaluations (cost effectiveness analysis) in health programs/interventions, with a focus on those in an emergency setting in low- and middle-income countries.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: June 2023
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, depending on prevailing travel restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
Review on the use of Economic Evaluation of health program/intervention for Policy Making in Developing Countries
Final Outcome: ADB publication
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in economics and health economics.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Prior experience on conducting systematic review of literature in development economics or health economics, strong training health economics, economic evaluations.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).