Intern - Urban Sector Group, SDSC - 2326
Job Vacancy | Thursday, December 15, 2022
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Assessment of Sustainable Tourism Approaches in ADB project design and implementation in support of (corporate) indicator formulation for tourism development by ADB"
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
• Categorize and assess the sustainability criteria used in ADB tourism projects (past, present and planned)
• Assess country level (selected DMCs) sustainable tourism policies and practices and identify differences and synergies with project level objectives
• Deep-dive into three projects/destinations of different scope – coastal, urban and rural and analyze sustainable objectives vs outcomes (desk research)
• Recommend how to mainstream different and relevant global sustainable tourism practices in ADB project design and operations
• Formulate 3 short policy notes in cooperation with ADB staff
• Support tourism knowledge work where relevant
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: June 2023
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, depending on prevailing travel restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
• Guidelines how to ensure sustainable tourism objectives can be achieved in lending and TA projects
• Draft (corporate) indicators for sustainable tourism projects
• Policy note on sustainable tourism financing in DMCs
The Intern will obtain valuable insight into development financing and TA in support of sustainable tourism, its challenges, and best practices for effective and measurable development support.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in the field of Sustainable Tourism Management, or Tourism specialization within Leisure Management, Hospitality Management, Economics or Geography.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Practical experience in sustainable/eco-tourism operations through internship or employment preferred.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).