Intern - Security and Emergency Services Unit - 2332
Job Vacancy | Thursday, December 15, 2022
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Field Security Management Principles for Multilateral Development Organizations"
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Corporate Services Department (CSD) manages the building, office space facilities, and delivers over 70 diverse corporate services essential for ADB's operations. Within CSD’s Organizational Resilience and Security Division (CSRS), the Security and Emergency Services Unit (CSRS-SE) develops and maintains appropriate security and safety policies and programs for the protection of all ADB personnel, facilities, and assets, including ADB’s official guests and visitors at ADB field offices (FOs); establishes a system-based reaction in the event of emergencies and extends external emergency assistance to mission travelers, expatriate staff members and dependents; and advises ADB Management on security related issues through ADB’s areas of operations. This internship will be assigned to CSRS-SE’s Field Security Team.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 11 weeks
• Timing: June 2023
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, depending on prevailing travel restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
The incumbent will gain a baseline understanding of the basic principles of field security management in a multi-lateral development organization and participate in at least one security assessment mission (SAM) in the field.
The incumbent will complete a comprehensive evaluation of ADB’s security assessment mission (SAM) process, including the relevant organizational policies, activities (training, briefings, liaison, project visits) conducted in the field, and a full review of the back-to-office-report (BTOR) to identify areas of improvement.
The incumbent will also assist with:
- Monitoring and analyzing the security and political situations in countries where ADB FOs are located, as well as in the Philippines, with a particular focus on areas outside of Manila.
- Developing, instituting, and managing appropriate safety and security policies and programs at ADB’s FOs.
- Supporting ADB’s security agreement with the United Nations (UN) to ensure compliance and accountability in accordance with the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding and providing advice and assistance to FOs to meet the requirements of the agreement.
- Providing timely and appropriate advice and responses in the event of crises.
- Disseminating appropriate and timely security and safety related information and advisories to staff and dependents.
- Liaising with senior personnel and officials of security agencies of host governments, UN and other international organizations, embassies, as well as private security consultants and experts.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Public or Business Administration, Political Science, International Law or related fields. University degree in Public or Business Administration, Political Science, Journalism, Communications, International Law, or related fields.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 4 years of military, law enforcement, private security, journalism, or diplomatic experience.
- Demonstrated exposure to the international security and government relations arenas and dealing with security and government relations related issues.
- Solid understanding of international security structures and practices, in particular, a good understanding of the UN and other international organization security structures would be highly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills to liaise effectively with staff, ADB management, senior government officials and counterparts from other local and international organizations
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and ability to develop consensus within a multicultural organizational work environment of diverse operational activities
- Emotional maturity to understand the impact and sensitivity of security and safety issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).