Senior Investment Officer
Job Vacancy | Monday, January 23, 2023
ADB will be rolling out its operating model which may result in the change of department/group and/or reporting arrangement(s). By proceeding with your application, you acknowledge and accept the possibility of such changes resulting from the new operating model (NOM).
This position is for outposting to PRCM and is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an external candidate, he/she may initially be based in HQ prior to be outposted. If the successful candidate is an internal candidate, the outposting will be immediate.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of People's Republic of China.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Infrastructure Finance Division 2 (PSIF2) within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSIF2 responsible for deal identification and processing, up to signing, for nonsovereign infrastructure projects in East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific. PSOD provides financing and investment support to private projects, corporates, financial institutions and private equity funds throughout developing Asia and the Pacific. It advises, helps structure and provides and catalyzes financing for privately held and state-sponsored entities across a wide range of sectors. Its emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB's organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. To learn more about PSOD, watch this video.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Investment Officer will provide technical support and coordination in the processing of ADB’s private sector investments and technical assistance in the People’s Republic of China (PRC). This involves contributing to the identification, development, implementation and administration of private sector infrastructure financing projects. The incumbent will report to the designated International Staff (IS) on substantive technical, policy-related and operational aspects. For administrative matters, both the designated IS and Country Director, PRCM are to be consulted. The incumbent may supervise junior National Staff and Administrative Staff.
a. Project Processing
- Contributes to the identification, development and processing of projects including undertaking the needed due diligence, risk analysis and mitigation work towards the structuring of loans, equity investment, guarantees or other forms of assistance
- Leads and undertakes the implementation and administration of private sector infrastructure programs and projects, ensuring compliance with required guidelines, policies and procedures as well as agreed covenants and reporting requirements;
- Leads credit and financial due diligence by developing financial models and in general assessing the risk and credit profile of proposed infrastructure investments and reviewing contracts and project documents;
- Analyzes financial statements and financial projections/models; perform sensitivity analysis and stress testing and make necessary recommendations;
- Leads due diligence missions and provide technical support and recommendations to Team Leaders in negotiations with project developers, sponsors, and financiers to facilitate the financial closing of transactions and implement projects;
- Leads and negotiates with project developers, sponsors, and financiers to facilitate the implementation of transactions and underlying projects;
- Represents ADB in specific transactions with external technical advisors, consultants and lawyers;
- Leads relevant sector, and country research, as needed, as a part of transaction risk assessment and make recommendations to the project team leader;
- Works and collaborates with the Office of Risk Management and the Safeguards Specialists to address credit-related and safeguard issues in respect of transactions under processing; and 10) Prepare presentation materials and discuss issues in the Investment Committee meetings and other meetings.
b. Strategy and Planning
- Facilitates and contributes to discussions with the potential private sector sponsors for project development, processing and monitoring;
- Contributes to One ADB initiatives, the development of policy and strategies for ADB’s developmental goals for the private sector in consultation with relevant stakeholders; and
- Provides assistance in project administration, as needed, by participating in review missions; supervising the disbursement of approved investments; participating in negotiations with project developers, sponsors, and financiers; and analyzing progress reports from review missions;
- Participates in regional knowledge forums, conferences, and One ADB events for external knowledge sharing
- Perform other tasks as assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan
Relevant Experience & Requirements
Master’s degree or equivalent in Management or Finance; or Bachelor’s degree in related fields and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
At least 12 years of work experience in preferably in project finance or corporate finance; and at least 7 years of supervisory experience
Proven ability to undertake research and analysis on difficult but well-defined tasks, collect and organize required data and information, apply appropriate computer skills in organizing and analyzing the data; and prepare notes, papers and sections of reports.
Good analytical thinking with ability to comprehend causal links, make pros and cons analysis, and analyze factors to reach a decision.
Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
Able to mentor junior National Staff (NS) and/or Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
Strong oral and written communications skills
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.