Afghanistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
Afghanistan’s economy is forecast to moderate to 2.5% growth in 2018 and 2019 due to the challenging security and political situations in the country, says a new ADB report. The government needs to attract higher levels of private investment to help boost economic growth, create more jobs, and reduce the country’s dependence on donor support.
ADB and Afghanistan launched the “Afghan GeoPortal” to help increase the Government of Afghanistan’s access to accurate and comprehensive geospatial data from a central information system in the country.
ADB's Board of Directors has approved the 3-year extension of the availability period of the MFF, approved in 2009, for the Water Resources Development Investment Program aimed to improve agricultural productivity in Afghanistan.
Afghanistan was a founding member of ADB in 1966 and has since been supported by ADB over two periods.
Resuming its partnership with Afghanistan after a hiatus from 1980 to 2001, ADB—in collaboration with other development partners—supports the country’s development in the transport, energy, natural resources, and economic management sectors. Cumulative lending to Afghanistan total almost $1 billion, and approved grants total $3.3 billion. Read the fact sheet: ADB and Afghanistan
ADB assistance is fully on budget and aligned with the government’s strategies and its national priority programs, which are the agreed foundations of the partnership.
Afghanistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Afghanistan
- Horticulture Value Chain Development Sector Project
- Promoting Investments and Economic Growth in Central and West Asia through Intra- and Inter-Regional Trade
- Implementing Integrated Trade Agenda in CAREC
- MFF: Arghandab Integrated Water Resources Development Investment Program
- Railway Sector Development in CAREC Countries
- Implementing the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation 2030 Strategy for Sustainable Regional Development
- Supporting Social Safeguards in the Central and West Asia Region
- Supporting Environmental Safeguards in the Central and West Asia Region
- Modernizing Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures to Facilitate Trade
- Capacity Building Program for Journalists in Developing Member Countries, 2018-2019