Afghanistan: Projects and Results
Latest Project Results and Case Studies
Banking on Business in AfghanistanA small investment during very tough times has grown into Afghanistan’s largest bank—and is helping create thousands of jobs.
Afghanistan: A Simple Solution for FarmersIn Afghanistan’s Bamyan province, a small innovation is helping farmers stabilize and increase their incomes.
Building Afghanistan's New Railway as Lifesaving LinkADB has helped open up Afghanistan to increased trade and commerce through the construction of a new rail system.
Central Asia Cross-Border Trade and TransportRehabilitated roads in landlocked Tajikistan boost trade at home and with other Central Asian nations and the People’s Republic of China (PRC).
Agriculture in Afghanistan: Cold Storage Increases Food SecurityIn Afghanistan, where only a fraction of the country's land is arable or cultivated, a grassroots initiative is helping farmers better preserve their crops and take their produce to market at more profitable prices
Energy in Afghanistan: Reliable On-Grid Power for KabulAfter years of darkness and air pollution caused by countless diesel generators, Kabul has reliable grid-supplied power, and initiatives are in motion to do the same for the rest of Afghanistan.
Afghanistan Rail System Connects to UzbekistanA rail connection from Afghanistan's biggest northern city to the Uzbekistan border offers a chance to reestablish the war-torn nation as a regional trade hub.
Afghanistan Highway Connects Country to Central Asia and Middle EastA 100-km stretch of road is saving and improving lives and enhancing business opportunities in the north of Afghanistan, but it is just one small part of the 2,700-km ring road that is helping reconnect the country with Central Asia and the Middle East.
Development Afghans Can Bank OnADB established the first private sector commercial bank, post the Taliban regime in war-torn Afghanistan. The Afghanistan International Bank (AIB) helps finance small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as consumer and retail banking.
Leapfrogging to Mobile TelephonyADB is helping Afghanistan's largest telecom operator develop nationwide mobile phone infrastructure and expand cellular services.
- MFF: Arghandab Integrated Water Resources Development Investment Program
- Partnership with the Private Sector for Sustainable Trade Facilitation Results in the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Program
- Kandahar Solar Power Project
- Better Customs for Better Client Services in Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Countries
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation: Knowledge Sharing and Services in Transport and Transport Facilitation (Phase 2)
- Implementing the Integrated Trade Agenda in the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Program
- Enhancing Project Readiness and Implementation in Central and West Asia
- Energy Supply Improvement Investment Program Tranche 5
- Regional Cooperation on Increasing Cross-Border Energy Trading within the Central Asian Power System
- Railway Sector Development in Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Countries