Afghanistan: Projects and Results
Latest Project Results and Case Studies
Banking on Business in AfghanistanA small investment during very tough times has grown into Afghanistan’s largest bank—and is helping create thousands of jobs.
Afghanistan: A Simple Solution for FarmersIn Afghanistan’s Bamyan province, a small innovation is helping farmers stabilize and increase their incomes.
Building Afghanistan's New Railway as Lifesaving LinkADB has helped open up Afghanistan to increased trade and commerce through the construction of a new rail system.
Central Asia Cross-Border Trade and TransportRehabilitated roads in landlocked Tajikistan boost trade at home and with other Central Asian nations and the People’s Republic of China (PRC).
Agriculture in Afghanistan: Cold Storage Increases Food SecurityIn Afghanistan, where only a fraction of the country's land is arable or cultivated, a grassroots initiative is helping farmers better preserve their crops and take their produce to market at more profitable prices
Energy in Afghanistan: Reliable On-Grid Power for KabulAfter years of darkness and air pollution caused by countless diesel generators, Kabul has reliable grid-supplied power, and initiatives are in motion to do the same for the rest of Afghanistan.
Afghanistan Rail System Connects to UzbekistanA rail connection from Afghanistan's biggest northern city to the Uzbekistan border offers a chance to reestablish the war-torn nation as a regional trade hub.
Afghanistan Highway Connects Country to Central Asia and Middle EastA 100-km stretch of road is saving and improving lives and enhancing business opportunities in the north of Afghanistan, but it is just one small part of the 2,700-km ring road that is helping reconnect the country with Central Asia and the Middle East.
Development Afghans Can Bank OnADB established the first private sector commercial bank, post the Taliban regime in war-torn Afghanistan. The Afghanistan International Bank (AIB) helps finance small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as consumer and retail banking.
Leapfrogging to Mobile TelephonyADB is helping Afghanistan's largest telecom operator develop nationwide mobile phone infrastructure and expand cellular services.
- MFF Energy Supply Improvement Program
- Energy Supply Improvement Investment Program (Solar), Tranche 3 (Formerly MFF II: Energy Development 2014-2023)
- Energy Supply Improvement Investment Program Tranche 2 (Formerly Multitranche Financing Facility II: Energy Development 2014-2023)
- Panj-Amu River Basin Sector Project
- Road Asset Management Project
- Preparation of Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 5 and 6 (Salang Corridor) Project
- Supporting Natural Resources Operations
- Energy Supply Improvement Investment Program -Tranche 1
- Energy Supply Improvement Investment Program (Formerly Multitranche Financing Facility II: Energy Development 2014-2023)
- Public Management Support