Bangladesh and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB reaffirmed ADB’s commitment to supporting Bangladesh in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and assisting the country in fulfilling its growth aspirations.
This publication features an ADB project that turned around an urban water utility in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and offers a good example for other similar utilities in South Asia.
ADB's partnership with food company PRAN-RFL helps expand contract farming, make cassava an attractive crop, and build the agribusiness sector.
ADB has been contributing to economic development and reforms in Bangladesh, with a cumulative assistance of 265 loans and 419 technical assistance projects as of December 2016.
From 1990 to 2015, Bangladesh halved its incidence of poverty—meeting one of its core Millennium Development Goals—and gained lower-middle-income status in 2015. The country’s economic growth has been robust over the past decade, and was almost double the global average in the fiscal year that ended on 30 June 2015.
In 2015, the Government of Bangladesh developed its Seventh Five-Year Plan. The plan covers FY2016–FY2020 and aims for Bangladesh to reach the middle-income level by 2021.
In recent years, ADB development efforts in Bangladesh have focused on energy security, transport services and connectivity, education and skills development, water resources management, urban infrastructure, and finance.
Bangladesh is a member of the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) program.
Projects in Bangladesh
- Third Public-Private Infrastructure Development Facility-Tranche 2
- Regional Power Generation and Transmission Project (formerly Energy Efficiency Improvement Project II)
- Market and Value Chain Infrastructure Development Project
- Railway Rolling Stock Operations Improvement Project
- City Region Development Project II
- Sustainable Management of Community Development for Chittagong Hill Tracts
- SASEC Bangladesh-India Electrical Grid Interconnection Project
- Improving Secondary Education Sector Management
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Dhaka-Northwest Corridor Road Project, Phase 2 - Tranche 1
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Dhaka-Northwest Corridor Road Project, Phase 2
Population in Bangladesh, in millions (2016)
Population living below the national poverty line in Bangladesh (2010)
Average annual population growth rate in Bangladesh (2011-2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in Bangladesh, per 100,000 live births (2015)