Bangladesh and ADB
In the Spotlight
The bridge over the Jamuna River in Bangladesh is a national landmark, but it is also a symbol of the country’s partnership with ADB. Bangladesh has made remarkable progress in the last 4 decades with ADB at its side.
This report highlights the milestones in the Bangladesh-ADB partnership since 1973, including projects that exemplify sustained development results.
Using Input-Output Analysis Framework to Explain Economic Diversification and Structural Transformation in Bangladesh
Understanding the interlinkages of firms and sectors in the production process and how that leads to higher value added and trade growth has attracted increasing interest.
The humble solar home system, comprising in its simplest form a panel and battery, has helped millions of families in developing Asia gain access to electricity. In off-grid areas and poor communities, this setup provides a household with enough power for basic needs such as lighting, running a fan, or charging mobile phones.
From 1990 to 2015, Bangladesh halved its incidence of poverty—meeting one of its core Millennium Development Goals—and gained lower-middle-income status in 2015. The country’s economic growth has been robust over the past decade, and was almost double the global average in the fiscal year that ended on 30 June 2015.
In 2015, the Government of Bangladesh developed its Seventh Five-Year Plan. The plan covers FY2016–FY2020 and aims for Bangladesh to reach the middle-income level by 2021.
In recent years, ADB development efforts in Bangladesh have focused on energy security, transport services and connectivity, education and skills development, water resources management, urban infrastructure, and finance.
Bangladesh is a member of the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) program.
Projects in Bangladesh
- Rural Infrastructure Maintenance Program
- Supporting Fourth Primary Education Development Program
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Dhaka-Northwest Corridor Road Project, Phase 2
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Dhaka-Northwest Corridor Road Project, Phase 2 - Tranche 1
- Greater Dhaka Sustainable Urban Transport Project - Additional Financing
- Third Public-Private Infrasctructure Development Facility-Tranche 1
- Third Urban Governance and Infrastructure Improvement (Sector) Project - Additional Financing
- Third Public-Private Infrastructure Development Facility
- Southwest Transmission Grid Expansion Project
- Bangladesh Power System Enhancement and Efficiency Improvement Project
Population in Bangladesh, in millions (2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in Bangladesh, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population living below the national poverty line in Bangladesh (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in Bangladesh (2011-2016)