India and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB and India today signed a $250 million loan to finance the construction of 6,254 kilometers of all-weather rural roads in the states of Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, and West Bengal.
ADB's Board of Directors has approved a $346 million loan to upgrade highways in the Indian state of Karnataka. "The road network is a critical element of the transport infrastructure in Karnataka," according to an ADB principal transport specialist.
As demand for electricity rises in Bangladesh, the country’s first cross-border connection with India is helping address gaps in energy-poor areas and bring economic benefits to both sides of the border.
ADB supports India’s vision of faster, inclusive, and sustainable growth. The latest country brief captures the core of ADB's operations in India and showcases select interventions that are helping the government achieve its development goals.
The Country Partnership Strategy (CPS), 2018–2022 for India aims to support the government’s goal of faster, inclusive, and sustainable growth accompanied by rapid economic transformation and job creation. The new CPS articulates ADB assistance through the three strategic pillars: boosting economic competitiveness to create more and better jobs, providing inclusive access to infrastructure networks and services, and addressing climate change and increasing climate resilience. ADB’s annual lending to India is proposed to be raised to a maximum of $4 billion to support the country’s transformation toward upper middle-income status.
The country operations business plan (COBP), 2018–2020 aims to support the government’s endeavor towards achieving faster, inclusive and sustainable growth through programs supporting the provision of inclusive access to infrastructure, boosting competitiveness and job creation, and helping address climate change issues.
India is a member of the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) program.
Projects in India
- MFF - North East Region Urban Sector Development Investment Program (Subproject 1)
- MFF - North East Region Urban Sector Development Investment Program (Facility Concept)
- Bangalore Cluster City Development Investment Program
- Tamil Nadu Industrial Connectivity Project
- Railway Energy Efficiency Project
- Capacity Building of the Aid Accounts and Audit Division of the Ministry of Finance
- Railway Sector Investment Program - Tranche 3
- Assam Urban Infrastructure Investment Program - Tranche 2
- Enhancing Capacity of State Utilities in Preparing Energy Sector Projects
- Karnataka State Highways Improvement III Project
- Accelerating Infrastructure Investment Facility in India - Tranche 2
- Enabling Monetization of Infrastructure Assets in India
- Support to Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries
- Supporting Sustainable Urban Transport in Aizawl City
- Enhancing Bond Guarantee Structuring Skills in India