Indonesia and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB, through the Climate Investment Funds (CIF), and its private sector partners are supporting three landmark geothermal power projects in North, South and West Sumatra. These energy projects demonstrate how private sector investment can drive geothermal energy development.
Indonesia’s economy is expected to grow 5.3% in 2018 and 2019, as investment accelerates and household consumption improves, according to the Asian Development Outlook 2018.
Meet Dwi Rahayu, a local woman from South Solok, West Sumatra. She shares her experiences and dreams as a young environmental engineer working in a male-dominated geothermal development project site.
Indonesia is working to create jobs for young people and develop skills in order to raise productivity and meet the demands of the digital age. The new publication, Indonesia: Enhancing Productivity through Quality Jobs, examines the changing supply and demand for labor as workers shift out of agriculture
Indonesia boasts the largest economy in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), and the 16th largest worldwide. Its economic growth since 2009 has helped lift over 3 million Indonesians out of poverty.
ADB adapts its support for Indonesia to reflect the complex development needs of a rapidly evolving middle-income country. The focus of assistance has moved from an emphasis on agriculture in the 1970s, to energy, urban infrastructure, and education in the 1980s, to finance sector reform and resilience in the late 1990s. With Indonesia having built much stronger systems and capacity, ADB now provides results-based forms of financing, enabling the country to use its internal systems and principle-based approaches.
Indonesia is part of the Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA) and the Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT) subregional programs.
Projects in Indonesia
- Pilot Carbon Capture and Storage Activity in the Natural Gas Processing Sector
- Advanced Knowledge and Skills for Sustainable Growth Project
- Sewerage System Development Project
- Sustainable Energy Access in Eastern Indonesia-Power Generation Sector Project
- Revitalization of Informal Settlements and their Environments using a Water-Sensitive Approach
- Sustainable Infrastructure Assistance Program - Supporting Sustainable and Universal Electricity Access in Indonesia (Subproject 13)
- Exacta Asia Investment II, L.P.
- Deepening Understanding of Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Developing Member Countries for Improved Economic Assessment
- Enhancing ADB’s Support for Social Protection to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- Stepping Up Investments for Growth Acceleration Program (Subprogram 3)