Indonesia and ADB
In the Spotlight
Rantau Dedap geothermal power project in South Sumatra, Indonesia is expected to generate more than 90 MW of electricity, which will power up to 130,000 homes and avoid over 400,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions every year by 2021.
ADB President Nakao Met with President Widodo and Pledged $1 Billion in Support of Sulawesi Earthquake and Tsunami Affected Areas
In addition to an emergency budget support loan of up to $500 million, ADB stands ready to provide additional project loan financing of about $500 million to support reconstruction.
ADB has agreed $3 million in grant assistance to support immediate relief efforts in Central Sulawesi, Indonesia. An earthquake and tsunami devastated part of Sulawesi on 28 September, leaving at least 1,700 dead and another 2,500 injured.
Economic growth in Indonesia, Southeast Asia’s largest economy, is expected to continue to be robust in 2018 and 2019 amid global headwinds, according to an update of the ADB's flagship annual economic publication, Asian Development Outlook (ADO) 2018.
Indonesia boasts the largest economy in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), and the 16th largest worldwide. Its economic growth since 2009 has helped lift over 3 million Indonesians out of poverty.
ADB adapts its support for Indonesia to reflect the complex development needs of a rapidly evolving middle-income country. The focus of assistance has moved from an emphasis on agriculture in the 1970s, to energy, urban infrastructure, and education in the 1980s, to finance sector reform and resilience in the late 1990s. With Indonesia having built much stronger systems and capacity, ADB now provides results-based forms of financing, enabling the country to use its internal systems and principle-based approaches.
Indonesia is part of the Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA) and the Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT) subregional programs.
Projects in Indonesia
- Pilot Carbon Capture and Storage Activity in the Natural Gas Processing Sector
- Sewerage System Development Project
- Enhanced Water Security Investment Project
- Agricultural Value Chain Development in Selected Asian Countries
- Sustainable Energy Access in Eastern Indonesia-Power Generation Sector Project
- Supporting the Advanced Knowledge and Skills for Sustainable Growth Project
- Support for Innovation and Technology Partnerships in Asia and the Pacific
- Advanced Knowledge and Skills for Sustainable Growth Project
- Emergency Assistance for Recovery and Rehabilitation from Recent Disasters
- Strengthening Safeguards Management in Southeast Asia