Indonesia and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB has approved $750,000 to Indonesia to provide knowledge support and technical assistance to study the impact of disruptive technologies on the Indonesia economy.
Strong investment and exports in Southeast Asia’s largest economy supported a healthy pace of growth in the first half of 2017, with growth momentum expected to continue to build this year and the next, says ADB's updated flagship report.
ADB has approved two loans totaling up to $1.1 billion to improve Indonesia's enabling policy environment to increase public and private investment in the energy sector, and expand the power distribution network in country's eastern region.
Indonesia boasts the largest economy in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), and the 16th largest worldwide. Its economic growth since 2009 has helped lift over 3 million Indonesians out of poverty.
ADB adapts its support for Indonesia to reflect the complex development needs of a rapidly evolving middle-income country. The focus of assistance has moved from an emphasis on agriculture in the 1970s, to energy, urban infrastructure, and education in the 1980s, to finance sector reform and resilience in the late 1990s. With Indonesia having built much stronger systems and capacity, ADB now provides results-based forms of financing, enabling the country to use its internal systems and principle-based approaches.
Indonesia is part of the Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA) and the Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT) subregional programs.
Read the ADB and Indonesia fact sheet.
Projects in Indonesia
- Stepping Up Investments for Growth Acceleration Program Subprogram 3
- Pilot Carbon Capture and Storage Activity in the Natural Gas Processing Sector
- Advanced Knowledge and Skills for Sustainable Growth Project
- Sewerage System Development Project
- Sustainable Energy Access in Eastern Indonesia-Power Generation Program
- Supporting Technological Transformation
- Preparing the Advanced Knowledge and Skills for Sustainable Growth Project
- Leveraging Information and Communication Technology for Irrigated Agricultural Information
- Sustainable Energy Access in Eastern Indonesia-Electricity Grid Development Program
- Sustainable and Inclusive Energy Program (Subprogram 2)
Maternal mortality ratio in Indonesia, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population in Indonesia, in millions (2016)
Average annual population growth rate in Indonesia (2011-2016)
Population living below the national poverty line in Indonesia (2016)