Kazakhstan and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB and Tengri Bank signed a trade finance agreement enabling ADB’s Trade Finance Program (TFP) to provide guarantees to support import and export transactions in Kazakhstan.
Urban development experts, private sector specialists, key government officials, representatives of oblast (provincial) administrations, and experts from international financial institutions gathered in Astana for a two-day workshop to discuss Kazakhstan’s urban water supply and sanitation infrastructure needs.
Giovanni Capannelli, Country Director of ADB's Kazakhstan Resident Mission, gives an overview of ADB's operations in the country.
In the early 1990s, Kazakhstan was transitioning from a centrally planned economy to one driven by market forces. ADB began supporting the Government of Kazakhstan in 1994, a few years after the country became independent, by providing much-needed assistance in agriculture, education, finance, and the delivery of social services.
Since the early 2000s, Kazakhstan has pursued economic diversification to avoid being stuck in the “middle-income trap.” It seeks to transform from a landlocked to a “landlinked” economy. To address these development needs, ADB cooperation with Kazakhstan in recent years has focused on the finance and transport sectors and on knowledge partnerships.
Kazakhstan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Read the ADB and Kazakhstan fact sheet.
Projects in Kazakhstan
- Fostering the Development of Renewable Energy
- Supporting Resilience of Micro, Small, and Medium-Sized Enterprises Finance Project
- CAREC Corridors 1 and 6 Connector Road (Aktobe–Makat) Reconstruction Project
- Road Maintenance Sustainability Project
- Joint Government of Kazakhstan and the Asian Development Bank Knowledge and Experience Exchange Program, Phase 2
- Countercyclical Support
- Managing for Development Results in the Transport Sector of Kazakhstan
- Small and Medium Enterprises Investment Program - Tranche 2
- Joint Government of Kazakhstan and the Asian Development Bank Knowledge and Experience Exchange Program, Phase 1
- Alternative Urban Infrastructure Financing Modalities
Population living below the national poverty line in Kazakhstan (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in Kazakhstan (2011-2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in Kazakhstan, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population in Kazakhstan, in millions (2016)