Kyrgyz Republic and ADB
In the Spotlight
Economic expansion reached 6.0% in the first 8 months of 2017, up from no growth in the same period of 2016, according to the Asian Development Outlook 2017 Update. Find out about current and projected economic growth in the Kyrgyz Republic and compare the data with other developing countries in Central Asia.
The current low global commodity prices and slow economic recovery in the Russian Federation are taking a severe toll on the market. If the government puts in place the necessary infrastructure to address the impact of the economic slowdown, and businesses quickly adapt to the new economic conditions, things will eventually get better.
This country brief presents how ADB's operations in the Kyrgyz Republic help improve people's lives in the country and the challenges ADB and the country face in pursuing agreed development goals.
In recent years, the Kyrgyz Republic has maintained a strong development agenda to reduce poverty through inclusive economic growth.
With the support of ADB, the government has sought to reform legal and regulatory frameworks, improve the country’s business environment, make affordable finance available to all, improve the reliability of electricity services, and allow the people to become more employable.
The ADB country partnership strategy, 2013–2017 supports the objectives of the Kyrgyz Republic’s National Sustainable Development Strategy, 2013–2017, aiming to remove key constraints to growth and expand access to economic opportunities.
The Kyrgyz Republic is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Kyrgyz Republic
- Uch Kurgan Hydropower Plant Modernization Project (formerly Energy Sector Project)
- Climate Resilience & Disaster Risk Reduction in Water Resources Management
- Rural Financial Inclusion Project
- Skills for Inclusive Growth Sector Development Program
- Climate Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction in Water Resources Management
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 2)
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 1)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project Design Advance
- Investment Climate Improvement Program - Subprogram 3
- Toktogul Rehabilitation Project Phase 2
Population living below the national poverty line in Kyrgyz Republic (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in Kyrgyz Republic (2011-2016)
Population in Kyrgyz Republic, in millions (2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in Kyrgyz Republic, per 100,000 live births (2015)