Kyrgyz Republic and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB Vice-President Wencai Zhang reaffirmed ADB’s long-term partnership with the Kyrgyz Republic and commitment to support its economic development during his 2-day visit to the country.
A rehabilitated road between the Kyrgyz capital Bishkek and the Torugart border crossing is helping boost trade, tourism, and economic cooperation in Central Asia.
This country brief presents how ADB's operations in the Kyrgyz Republic help improve people's lives in the country and the challenges ADB and the country face in pursuing agreed development goals.
In recent years, the Kyrgyz Republic has maintained a strong development agenda to reduce poverty through inclusive economic growth.
With the support of ADB, the government has sought to reform legal and regulatory frameworks, improve the country’s business environment, make affordable finance available to all, improve the reliability of electricity services, and allow the people to become more employable.
The ADB country partnership strategy, 2013–2017 supports the objectives of the Kyrgyz Republic’s National Sustainable Development Strategy, 2013–2017, aiming to remove key constraints to growth and expand access to economic opportunities.
The Kyrgyz Republic is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Kyrgyz Republic
- Uch Kurgan Hydropower Plant Modernization Project (formerly Energy Sector Project)
- Climate Resilience & Disaster Risk Reduction in Water Resources Management
- CAREC Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project - Additional Financing
- Second Issyk-kul Sustainable Development Project
- Rural Financial Inclusion Project
- Modernizing Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures to Facilitate Trade
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 3)
- Skills for Inclusive Growth Sector Development Program
- Climate Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction in Water Resources Management
- Uch Kurgan Hydropower Plant Modernization
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 2)
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 1)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project Design Advance
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project
- CAREC Transport Corridor I (Bishkek-Torugart Road) Project 3 - Additional Financing