Kyrgyz Republic and ADB
In the Spotlight
A rehabilitated road between the Kyrgyz capital Bishkek and the Torugart border crossing is helping boost trade, tourism, and economic cooperation in Central Asia.
The ADB Board of Directors has approved a $25 million policy-based grant to continue ongoing efforts to improve the investment climate in the Kyrgyz Republic and encourage the private sector to contribute more effectively to the country’s growth.
This country brief presents how ADB's operations in the Kyrgyz Republic help improve people's lives in the country and the challenges ADB and the country face in pursuing agreed development goals.
In recent years, the Kyrgyz Republic has maintained a strong development agenda to reduce poverty through inclusive economic growth.
With the support of ADB, the government has sought to reform legal and regulatory frameworks, improve the country’s business environment, make affordable finance available to all, improve the reliability of electricity services, and allow the people to become more employable.
The ADB country partnership strategy, 2013–2017 supports the objectives of the Kyrgyz Republic’s National Sustainable Development Strategy, 2013–2017, aiming to remove key constraints to growth and expand access to economic opportunities.
The Kyrgyz Republic is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Kyrgyz Republic
- Uch Kurgan Hydropower Plant Modernization Project (formerly Energy Sector Project)
- Climate Resilience & Disaster Risk Reduction in Water Resources Management
- Rural Financial Inclusion Project
- Second Issyk-kul Sustainable Development Project
- CAREC Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project - Additional Financing
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 3)
- Skills for Inclusive Growth Sector Development Program
- Climate Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction in Water Resources Management
- Uch Kurgan Hydropower Plant Modernization
- Skilling and Entrepreneurship for Inclusive Growth Sector Development Program
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 2)
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 1)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project Design Advance
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project
- Investment Climate Improvement Program - Subprogram 3
Population living below the national poverty line in Kyrgyz Republic (2015)
Population in Kyrgyz Republic, in millions (2016)
Average annual population growth rate in Kyrgyz Republic (2011-2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in Kyrgyz Republic, per 100,000 live births (2015)