Kyrgyz Republic and ADB
In the Spotlight
The Kyrgyz Republic faces significant geographic barriers, but faster economic growth can be achieved with comprehensive reforms.
The Kyrgyz Republic joined ADB in 1994 and the bank has since approved 44 loans ($1.2 billion) and 40 grants ($662 million) from the Asian Development Fund (ADF) as well as 6 grants ($7.5 million) from Japan Fund for Poverty Reduction. ADB has also financed 104 technical assistance projects ($60.2 million).
This study seeks to assess the potential of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program as a platform to promote a regional approach to tourism development.
This country brief presents how ADB's operations in the Kyrgyz Republic help improve people's lives in the country and the challenges ADB and the country face in pursuing agreed development goals.
In recent years, the Kyrgyz Republic has maintained a strong development agenda to reduce poverty through inclusive economic growth.
With the support of ADB, the government has sought to reform legal and regulatory frameworks, improve the country’s business environment, make affordable finance available to all, improve the reliability of electricity services, and allow the people to become more employable.
The ADB-Kyrgyz Republic country partnership strategy aims to support growth and economic diversification, improve access to public and social services, and leverage regional cooperation.
The Kyrgyz Republic is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Kyrgyz Republic
- Almaty-Bishkek Economic Corridor: Modern Agriculture Wholesale Market Development Project
- Landslide Risk Management Sector Project
- Rural Financial Inclusion Project
- Inclusive Beverage Production and Distribution Project
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 1 and 3 Bishkek Northern Bypass Road Project
- Strengthening Regional Cooperation and Knowledge Sharing on the Application of Technology in Financial Services
- Promoting Financial Sector Resilience
- Enhancing Knowledge and Capacity for Project Management in the Kyrgyz Republic
- Supporting the Enabling Environment for Public Financial Management Reforms
- Developing a Disaster Risk Transfer Facility in the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Region
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 3)
- Climate Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction in Water Resources Management
- Skilling and Entrepreneurship for Inclusive Growth Sector Development Program
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2017 (Subproject 2)
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 2)