Lao PDR and ADB
In the Spotlight
New value crops like Japanese cucumbers are helping farmers in the Lao People's Democratic Republic maximize their land and generate additional income.
President Nakao said that the GMS Regional Investment Framework 2018-2022, which identifies more than 227 high-priority investment projects with an estimated total cost of about $66 billion, could be a good platform to foster greater synergies between the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) and CLV countries.
Affirmative action, vouchers, social marketing, and homestay visits are helping break through gender barriers to “blue collar” work in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic.
ADB continues to partner with the Lao PDR as it seeks to graduate from Least Developed Country status by 2020. This country brief details ADB’s operations across major sectors, and explores gains and challenges.
The economy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR) continues to grow vigorously. However, because it is a resource-rich country with an economy heavily reliant on mining and hydropower, more focus on diversifying the economy is needed. The government must strive for strong macroeconomic management, a sound fiscal framework, and effective budget management. While the government has consolidated expenditures to contain the deficit, it needs to increase fiscal and foreign reserves to absorb any future shocks.
ADB assistance to the Lao PDR is consistent with the rapidly evolving development needs of a lower-middle-income country. Under its national socioeconomic development plans, the government has adopted a policy to transform the Lao PDR from a landlocked to a landlinked country, and is aiming to be eligible to graduate from least developed country status by 2020.
The Lao PDR is a member of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS).
Projects in Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Northern Cross-Border Power Trade and Distribution Project
- Fourth Greater Mekong Subregion Corridor Towns Development Project
- Northern Rural Infrastructure Development Sector Project
- Climate-Friendly Agribusiness Value Chains Sector Project
- Strengthening Regional Health Cooperation in the Greater Mekong Subregion
- Enhancing ADB’s Support for Social Protection to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- Health Sector Governance Program (Subprogram 2)
- Mekong Tourism Innovation
- Capacity Building for Vientiane Sustainable Urban Transport Project
- Capacity Building Support to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Financial Integration: Phase II
- Workshop for Selection and Monitoring of a Biodiversity Offset for the Nam Ngiep 1 Hydropower Project
- Second Technical and Vocational Education Development
- Northern Rural Infrastructure Development Sector Project - Due Diligence of Additional Financing
- Greater Mekong Subregion Health Security Project
- Second Strengthening Higher Education Project