Lao PDR and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB continues to partner with the Lao PDR as it seeks to graduate from Least Developed Country status by 2020. This country brief details ADB’s operations across major sectors, and explores gains and challenges.
The Lao People’s Democratic Republic’s (Lao PDR) economic growth is on track to reach 6.9% in 2017 as foreseen in April this year, despite a slightly sluggish growth by 6.8% in the first half of the year. Firm economic growth is expected for 2017 and 2018, ADB forecasts in its annual flagship economic publication, Asian Development Outlook (ADO) 2017 Update.
ADB Board of Directors has endorsed a new 4-year country partnership strategy, which is expected to deliver $421 million in assistance through 2020 to the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR).
This report presents the findings of a climate risk financing study conducted by the GMS Core Environment Program in 28 rural communities in Cambodia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, and Viet Nam.
The economy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR) continues to grow vigorously. However, because it is a resource-rich country with an economy heavily reliant on mining and hydropower, more focus on diversifying the economy is needed. The government must strive for strong macroeconomic management, a sound fiscal framework, and effective budget management. While the government has consolidated expenditures to contain the deficit, it needs to increase fiscal and foreign reserves to absorb any future shocks.
ADB assistance to the Lao PDR is consistent with the rapidly evolving development needs of a lower-middle-income country. Under its national socioeconomic development plans, the government has adopted a policy to transform the Lao PDR from a landlocked to a landlinked country, and is aiming to be eligible to graduate from least developed country status by 2020.
The Lao PDR is a member of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS).
Projects in Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Trade Facilitation: Improved Sanitary and Phytosanitary Handling in Greater Mekong Subregion Trade Project – Additional Financing
- Sustainable Rural Infrastructure and Watershed Management Sector Project
- Northern Rural Infrastructure Development Sector Project - Additional Financing
- Economic Policy Support for Enhancing Productivity and Employment
- Workshop for Selection and Monitoring of a Biodiversity Offset for the Nam Ngiep 1 Hydropower Project
- Second Technical and Vocational Education Development
- Northern Rural Infrastructure Development Sector Project - Due Diligence of Additional Financing
- Second Strengthening Higher Education Project
- Governance and Capacity Development in Public Sector Management Program - Subprogram 2
- Northern Smallholder Livestock Commercialization Project
Population living below the national poverty line in Lao PDR (2012)
Population in Lao PDR, in millions (2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in Lao PDR, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in Lao PDR (2011-2016)