Lao PDR and ADB
In the Spotlight
Affirmative action, vouchers, social marketing, and homestay visits are helping break through gender barriers to “blue collar” work in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic.
This commemorative publication presents the highlights of the development partnership between the Lao People’s Democratic Republic and ADB over the past 50 years.
ADB continues to partner with the Lao PDR as it seeks to graduate from Least Developed Country status by 2020. This country brief details ADB’s operations across major sectors, and explores gains and challenges.
ADB Board of Directors has endorsed a new 4-year country partnership strategy, which is expected to deliver $421 million in assistance through 2020 to the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR).
The economy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR) continues to grow vigorously. However, because it is a resource-rich country with an economy heavily reliant on mining and hydropower, more focus on diversifying the economy is needed. The government must strive for strong macroeconomic management, a sound fiscal framework, and effective budget management. While the government has consolidated expenditures to contain the deficit, it needs to increase fiscal and foreign reserves to absorb any future shocks.
ADB assistance to the Lao PDR is consistent with the rapidly evolving development needs of a lower-middle-income country. Under its national socioeconomic development plans, the government has adopted a policy to transform the Lao PDR from a landlocked to a landlinked country, and is aiming to be eligible to graduate from least developed country status by 2020.
The Lao PDR is a member of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS).
Projects in Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Capacity Building for Vientiane Sustainable Urban Transport Project
- Northern Cross-Border Power Trade and Distribution Project
- Trade Facilitation: Improved Sanitary and Phytosanitary Handling in Greater Mekong Subregion Trade Project – Additional Financing
- Sustainable Rural Infrastructure and Watershed Management Sector Project
- Northern Rural Infrastructure Development Sector Project - Additional Financing
- Workshop for Selection and Monitoring of a Biodiversity Offset for the Nam Ngiep 1 Hydropower Project
- Second Technical and Vocational Education Development
- Northern Rural Infrastructure Development Sector Project - Due Diligence of Additional Financing
- Second Strengthening Higher Education Project
- Strengthening Capacity in Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Management