Lao PDR and ADB
In the Spotlight
This report presents the findings of a climate risk financing study conducted by the GMS Core Environment Program in 28 rural communities in Cambodia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, and Viet Nam.
Tourism Sector Assessment, Strategy, and Road Map for Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, and Viet Nam (2016-2018)
International visitor arrivals to the Lao PDR totaled 4.68 million in 2015, a 13% increase compared to 2014. This report documents tourism sector investment priorities of ADB and the governments of Cambodia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Myanmar, and Viet Nam.
In Lao PDR, 23.2% of the population lives below the national poverty line. Get the latest statistical data on poverty and socioeconomic development in Lao People's Democratic Republic and compare poverty indicators among countries in Southeast Asia.
Working with local governments, nongovernment organizations, women’s groups, and professional associations, town-wide adaptation measures were defined by overlaying climate change projections on town plans and zoning schemes for strategic infrastructure. Read the case study in Kaysone Phomvihane.
The economy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR) continues to grow vigorously. However, because it is a resource-rich country with an economy heavily reliant on mining and hydropower, more focus on diversifying the economy is needed. The government must strive for strong macroeconomic management, a sound fiscal framework, and effective budget management. While the government has consolidated expenditures to contain the deficit, it needs to increase fiscal and foreign reserves to absorb any future shocks.
ADB assistance to the Lao PDR is consistent with the rapidly evolving development needs of a lower-middle-income country. Under its national socioeconomic development plans, the government has adopted a policy to transform the Lao PDR from a landlocked to a landlinked country, and is aiming to be eligible to graduate from least developed country status by 2020.
The Lao PDR is a member of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS).
Projects in Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Sustainable Rural Infrastructure and Watershed Management Sector Project
- Northern Rural Infrastructure Development Sector Project - Additional Financing
- Economic Policy Support for Enhancing Productivity and Employment
- Second Northern Greater Mekong Subregion Transport Network Improvement Project (Additional Financing)
- Second Strengthening Technical and Vocational Education and Training Project
- Second Technical and Vocational Education Development
- Northern Rural Infrastructure Development Sector Project - Due Diligence of Additional Financing
- Second Strengthening Higher Education Project
- Governance and Capacity Development in Public Sector Management Program - Subprogram 2
- Northern Smallholder Livestock Commercialization Project
Average annual population growth rate in Lao PDR (2011-2016)
Population in Lao PDR, in millions (2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in Lao PDR, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population living below the national poverty line in Lao PDR (2012)