Myanmar and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB, through a grant from the Japan Fund for Poverty Reduction (JFPR), is supporting 87,000 households in their efforts to improve productivity and enhance livelihoods through community-driven development initiatives in Myanmar.
ADB President Meets with Myanmar State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi and Discusses Operations in Myanmar
Myanmar State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi met with ADB President Takehiko Nakao on the sidelines of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Leaders’ Summit. They discussed ADB’s continued engagement with Myanmar.
Myanmar’s economic growth is expected to pick up in 2019 and 2020, thanks to higher foreign direct investment (FDI) and positive responses to the government’s economic and policy reforms, according to a new ADB report.
ADB, Ascent Capital's Equity Investment Deal to Provide Growth Capital to Private Enterprises in Myanmar
ADB signed an agreement to provide a $10 million equity investment to Ascent Myanmar Growth Fund I LP, a private equity fund, for much-needed capital investment of small and medium-sized enterprises in the country.
Emerging from decades of economic and political isolation, Myanmar is striving for inclusive economic growth and poverty reduction. The country has strong potential for broad economic expansion, possessing abundant natural resources, a strategic location at the crossroads of Asia, a young population, and a sizable market with wide-ranging investment opportunities. Successful national elections, held in November 2015, represented an important milestone in Myanmar’s transition.
ADB operations in Myanmar focuses on building human resources and capacity, creating an enabling economic environment, and expanding access and connectivity.
Myanmar is a member of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS).
Projects in Myanmar
- Second Greater Mekong Subregion Highway Modernization Project (formerly GMS East-West Economic Corridor Highway Development Project)
- Second Mandalay Urban Services Improvement Project
- Rural Roads and Access Project
- Enhancing Financial Access through the Public Credit Guarantee Scheme Project
- Myanmar: Improving Non-Communicable Diseases Prevention and Treatment Project
- Supporting the Implementation of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation Initiatives
- Advancing Cooperation in the Maritime Sector in South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Program
- Southeast Asia Public Management, Financial Sector, and Trade Policy Facility
- Road Safety for Highway Development in the Greater Mekong Subregion East-West Economic Corridor
- Support for Human and Social Development in Southeast Asia
- Mekong Tourism Innovation
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2017 (Subproject 2)
- Greater Mekong Subregion: Capacity Development for Economic Zones in Border Areas
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2016 (Subproject 1)
- Malaria and Communicable Diseases Control in the Greater Mekong Subregion