Nepal and ADB
In the Spotlight
New customs facilities and streamlined procedures introduced at the Mechi border area between Nepal and India are helping promote trade between the two countries.
The power system, financed by an ADB-supported project, was switched on in the Hariharpurgadi village of Sindhuli district. This will help the village connect to the world through the internet and mobile phones creating opportunities to boost local income.
ADB and the Government of Nepal handed over the newly reconstructed Shree Kali Devi Primary School in Kavre District to the community. The April 2015 earthquake had destroyed five classrooms and other school facilities.
Nepal has faced major setbacks in recent decades, but the country has made steady progress. Its partnership with ADB has remained strong, and helped it respond to new shocks.
Nepal has made notable socioeconomic progress in recent years. Literacy rates have increased, poverty rates have declined, gender disparities have narrowed, and social inclusion has improved.
Nepal now strives to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and to graduate from least-developed country status.
ADB's country partnership strategy for 2013–2017 supports the government's development objective of accelerated, sustainable, and inclusive economic growth.
Nepal is a member of the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) program.
View the ADB and Nepal fact sheet.
- Macroeconomic Update: Nepal
Published twice a year, it reviews and analyzes Nepal's real, fiscal, monetary, and external sectors
Projects in Nepal
- Rural Connectivity Improvement Project
- Support for Value Chain Development Under the Nepal Agriculture Development Strategy
- Regional Urban Development Project
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Customs Reform and Modernization for Trade Facilitation
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Customs Reform and Modernization for Trade Facilitation Program
- Supporting Participation in the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Trade Facilitation Program
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) Power System Expansion Project
- Third Small Towns Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project
- Subregional Electricity Transmission Capacity Expansion Project
- Strengthening Public Management Program