Nepal and ADB
In the Spotlight
The power system, financed by an ADB-supported project, was switched on in the Hariharpurgadi village of Sindhuli district. This will help the village connect to the world through the internet and mobile phones creating opportunities to boost local income.
Rural communities in Nepal's highland areas are receiving financial support to cultivate high value crops and rear livestock, as well as advice on entering agricultural value chains to reach profitable markets.
The pace of growth of Nepal’s economy will slow down to 4.7% in fiscal year (FY) 2018, compared to 6.9% seen in FY2017, according to the Nepal Macroeconomic Update 2017.
Nepal has faced major setbacks in recent decades, but the country has made steady progress. Its partnership with ADB has remained strong, and helped it respond to new shocks.
Nepal has made notable socioeconomic progress in recent years. Literacy rates have increased, poverty rates have declined, gender disparities have narrowed, and social inclusion has improved.
Nepal now strives to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and to graduate from least-developed country status.
ADB's country partnership strategy for 2013–2017 supports the government's development objective of accelerated, sustainable, and inclusive economic growth.
Nepal is a member of the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) program.
View the ADB and Nepal fact sheet.
- Macroeconomic Update: Nepal
Published twice a year, it reviews and analyzes Nepal's real, fiscal, monetary, and external sectors
Projects in Nepal
- Rural Connectivity Improvement Project
- Support for Value Chain Development Under the Nepal Agriculture Development Strategy
- Regional Urban Development Project
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Customs Reform and Modernization for Trade Facilitation
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Customs Reform and Modernization for Trade Facilitation Program
- Supporting Participation in the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Trade Facilitation Program
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) Power System Expansion Project
- Third Small Towns Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project
- Subregional Electricity Transmission Capacity Expansion Project
- Scaling Up Renewable Energy Project