Pakistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
Flowing more than 1,000 km between Pakistan’s Indus River and the Suleiman Mountains, the Chashma Canal has helped transform a vast expanse of barren land into green farmland where profitable crops like rice and sugarcane can be cultivated.
This country profile provides a comprehensive overview of climate change science and policy in Pakistan, drawing insights from national and international literature.
ADB’s work since 2010 has brought electricity to more than 3 million households in Asia and the Pacific.
The country operations business plan, 2017–2019 for Pakistan of ADB is aligned with ADB’s country partnership strategy, 2015–2019 for Pakistan. The country partnership strategy proposes to support the government’s objective of high, sustained, and inclusive growth, focusing on infrastructure development and institutional reforms.
The Government of Pakistan has worked with ADB to strengthen the country’s key infrastructure, boost social and environmental safeguards, and promote information sharing with other countries.
The country partnership strategy, 2015-2019 for Pakistan continues to focus on infrastructure development and institutional reforms. It outlines financial assistance in six key sectors: energy; transport; agriculture, natural resources, and rural development; water and other urban infrastructure and services; public sector management; and finance
Pakistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Pakistan
- Integrated Information and Communications Technology Development Project
- Sindh Secondary Education Improvement Project
- Balochistan Water Resources Development Project
- Supporting Economic Corridor Development through Strategic Planning Frameworks
- Strengthening Corporate Social Responsibility for Development
- Capacity Building for Khushhali Bank Limited
- Punjab Intermediate Cities Improvement Investment Project Phase 2
- Enhancing Public-Private Partnerships in Punjab Project
- Islamic Republic of Pakistan: Strengthening the Federal Public-Private Partnership Framework and Enabling Reforms for Infrastructure Financing Support
- Revitalizing the Ecosystem of Ravi River Basin
Population living below the national poverty line in Pakistan (2013)
Maternal mortality ratio in Pakistan, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population in Pakistan, in millions (2016)
Average annual population growth rate in Pakistan (2011-2016)