Pakistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
The Government of Pakistan kicked-off a 2-year project to formulate the National Transport Policy. The comprehensive national transport policy and master plan will help cut travel time and boost the country’s economic outlook, while positioning it as a regional trade and business hub. It also seeks a safe, efficient, and sustainable transport system to realize Pakistan’s Vision 2025.
Pakistan is gearing to further expand its Islamic finance sector. Significant government initiatives include the launching of the Islamic Banking Strategic Plan, which aims to increase the country’s Islamic banking sector’s share in the total banking assets to 20% by December 2018 up from 9.8% as of 2014.
The country operations business plan, 2017–2019 for Pakistan of ADB is aligned with ADB’s country partnership strategy, 2015–2019 for Pakistan. The country partnership strategy proposes to support the government’s objective of high, sustained, and inclusive growth, focusing on infrastructure development and institutional reforms.
In Pakistan's province of Punjab, ADB is working with the government to replace a 100-year-old weir that regulates water flow to canals irrigating more than 12,000 sq km of agricultural land.
The Government of Pakistan has worked with ADB to strengthen the country’s key infrastructure, boost social and environmental safeguards, and promote information sharing with other countries.
The country partnership strategy, 2015-2019 for Pakistan continues to focus on infrastructure development and institutional reforms. It outlines financial assistance in six key sectors: energy; transport; agriculture, natural resources, and rural development; water and other urban infrastructure and services; public sector management; and finance
Pakistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Pakistan
- Expanding Access to Credit for Agriculture and Micro, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise Borrowers
- Institutional Transformation of the Punjab Irrigation Department to a Water Resources Department
- Access to Clean Energy Investment Program
- Supporting Public–Private Partnership Investments in Sindh Province
- Pehur High Level Canal Extension Project (formerly Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Water Resources Project)
- Improved Investment Climate for Mineral Sector Development in Pakistan
- Sustainable Energy Sector Reform Program - Subprogram 1
- Karachi Bus Rapid Transit Project
- Support for Efficient Structuring of Public-Private Partnership in Punjab and Sindh Provinces
- Federally Administered Tribal Areas Water Resources Development Project
Maternal mortality ratio in Pakistan, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in Pakistan (2010-2015)
Population in Pakistan, in millions (2015)
Population living below the national poverty line in Pakistan (2011)Refers to preliminary/interim figures; or refers to periods before 2010.