Pakistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
Pakistan joined ADB as a founding member in 1966. The country has since been working with ADB to strengthen its key infrastructure, social services, and economic growth. ADB has approved $32.2 billion in project assistance to Pakistan since 1966.
ADB and the Provincial Government of Balochistan signed the project agreement of a $107 million loan and grants to improve irrigation infrastructure and water resource management in Balochistan.
A fund set up to finance natural disasters-resilient projects is helping Pakistan reduce its socioeconomic and fiscal vulnerability to earthquakes and extreme weather events.
Pakistan’s new E-35 expressway, which links Islamabad to the north of the country, has shortened travel time and made trips safer. It also connects the country to Western and Central Asia.
The Government of Pakistan has worked with ADB to strengthen the country’s key infrastructure, boost social and environmental safeguards, and promote information sharing with other countries.
The country partnership strategy, 2015-2019 for Pakistan continues to focus on infrastructure development and institutional reforms. It outlines financial assistance in six key sectors: energy; transport; agriculture, natural resources, and rural development; water and other urban infrastructure and services; public sector management; and finance
Pakistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Pakistan
- Digital Solutions for Improved Efficiency in Agricultural Value Chains
- Integrated Information and Communications Technology Development Project
- Sindh Secondary Education Improvement Project
- Strengthening Corporate Social Responsibility for Development
- Greater Thal Canal Irrigation Investment Program
- Improving Workforce Readiness in Punjab
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Cities Improvement Projects - Project Readiness Financing
- Implementing the Integrated Trade Agenda in the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Program
- National Disaster Risk Management Fund (Additional Financing)
- Enhancing Project Readiness and Implementation in Central and West Asia
- Public Sector Enterprises Reform Program (Subprogram 2)
- Sustainable Energy Sector Reform Program (Subprogram 3)
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Provincial Roads Improvement Project
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2017 (Subproject 2)
- Public Sector Enterprises Reform Program (Subprogram 1)