Pakistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
Upgrading Pakistan’s transport network will boost regional trade flows, and allow Pakistan to benefit from its position as a transit artery for goods passing through its Arabian seaports on the way to other countries in South and Central Asia, and to the People’s Republic of China. Watch video
In 2014, floods devastated thousands of villages and killed hundreds of people. More than 2.5 million were displaced by the disaster. ADB responded with emergency assistance, helping Pakistan rebuild roads through innovative techniques, which also allow for the empowerment of women, and promote green enterprises and eco-tourism.
Pakistan joined ADB as a founding member in 1966. The country has since been working with ADB to strengthen its key infrastructure, social services, and economic growth. ADB has approved $32.2 billion in project assistance to Pakistan since 1966.
ADB and the Provincial Government of Balochistan signed the project agreement of a $107 million loan and grants to improve irrigation infrastructure and water resource management in Balochistan.
The Government of Pakistan has worked with ADB to strengthen the country’s key infrastructure, boost social and environmental safeguards, and promote information sharing with other countries.
The country operations business plan (COBP), 2019–2021 of ADB for Pakistan is aligned with ADB’s country partnership strategy (CPS), 2015–2019 for Pakistan, the priorities of ADB’s Strategy 2030, and the Government’s development strategy "Pakistan Vision 2025". Sectors supported include irrigation and water resource management; education; health; energy sector development reforms; trade, competitiveness and financial sector development; transport sector development; and urban and cities development.
Pakistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Pakistan
- Digital Solutions for Improved Efficiency in Agricultural Value Chains
- Integrated Information and Communications Technology Development Project
- Sindh Secondary Education Improvement Project
- Strengthening Corporate Social Responsibility for Development
- MFF CAREC Railway Connectivity Investment Program
- Social Protection Development Project (Additional Financing)
- Support for Innovation and Technology Partnerships in Asia and the Pacific - Energy Sector High-Level Technology Application (Subproject 2)
- Preparing the Financial Markets Development Program
- Supporting Development of Additional Financing for Social Protection Development Project
- Trade and Competitiveness Program (Subprogram 1)