Palau and ADB
In the Spotlight
Investments in basic services must be complemented by policy and regulatory reforms as well as capacity development to support a shift towards more commercially viable utilities in the Pacific, says the latest issue of the ADB Pacific Economic Monitor.
Palau once relied entirely on satellite links for internet connectivity. Now a fiber-optic cable system is helping the island nation to improve delivery of government, health, and education services.
ADB is scaling up its assistance in the Pacific, with our active portfolio growing from $500 million in 2004 to $2.6 billion at the end of 2017.
Palau's high-speed internet is the latest milestone under the North Pacific Regional Connectivity Investment Project. It boosts international connectivity, providing opportunities for women.
With outstanding natural and cultural resources, Palau has benefited from strong growth in the tourism sector that has driven overall economic growth. Despite this positive progress, as a small-island state with a population of around 20,000, Palau remains vulnerable to external economic shocks, the impacts of climate change, and other environmental and weather-related risks.
ADB’s strategy in Palau is to provide support to improve public sector effectiveness, facilitate private sector development, deliver safe water and sanitation services, and improve connectivity.
Projects in Palau
- Enhancing ADB’s Support for Social Protection to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- Capacity Building and Sector Reform for Renewable Energy Investments in the Pacific
- Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific 2018-2020 – Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific 2019 (Subproject 2)
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2018 (Subproject 3)
- Pacific Information and Communication Technology Investment Planning and Capacity Development Facility- Phase 2
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2016 (Subproject 1)
- Asian Development Outlook 2015
- Implementation of the Strategic Program for Climate Resilience: Pacific Region
- Results-Based Strategy and Sector Planning in the Pacific
- Enhancing ADB's Engagement in Fragile and Conflict-Affected Situations