ADB's Work in Papua New Guinea
Shareholding and Voting Power
Number of shares held:
9,960 (0.094% of total shares)
49,074 (0.369% of total membership, 0.567% of total regional membership)
Overall capital subscription:
Paid-in capital subscription:
Papua New Guinea (PNG) is a lowermiddle income country, classified by ADB as both a fragile and conflict-affected situation and a small island developing state.
The economy of PNG is small, open, and export-oriented. Mineral products (including oil, gas, liquid natural gas, gold, and copper) account for roughly 84% of all exports, with agriculture, forestry, and marine products contributing the other 16%. The economy is estimated to have contracted by at least 2.9% in 2020, largely due to the impacts of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
ADB has been working with PNG since 1971 and is the country’s largest multilateral development partner. ADB’s recent engagement has focused on key development challenges, including weak governance and institutions, a large infrastructure deficit, and poor service delivery (especially in rural areas, where more than 80% of the population resides).
The Tubusereia fishing village, Central Province in early morning
Since 1971, ADB has committed loans totaling $3.4 billion, grants of $19 million, technical assistance worth $79.2 million, and ADB-administered cofinancing of $217.9 million for PNG.