Philippines and ADB
In the Spotlight
Gross domestic product (GDP) growth of the Philippines will remain strong in 2017, driven mainly by public and private investment, says a new ADB report.
A photo exhibition launched in one of Manila's most popular shopping malls brings the history and work of ADB to Filipinos from all walks of life.
In a partnership that spanned 50 years, ADB has been listening to the Philippine government and its people, understanding their needs, and responding by delivering solutions to help the country achieve its development goals.
Pro-poor growth in the Philippines is driven by a growing budget for social assistance programs like conditional cash transfers.
The Philippines is among the fastest-growing economies in Southeast Asia, with upgrades to sovereign investment ratings confirming improvements in the country’s macroeconomic fundamentals. The government has defined its development objectives as driving rapid but inclusive economic growth, accelerating employment on a massive scale, and reducing poverty.
Since 1966, ADB has been a strong partner in the development of the Philippines, its host country. The country operations business plan, 2017-2019 will help the government achieve more inclusive growth and address income inequalities and regional disparities.
The Philippines is part of the Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA).
Read the ADB and Philippines fact sheet.
Projects in the Philippines
- Facilitating Youth School-to-Work Transition Program (Subprogram 1)
- Local Government Finance and Fiscal Decentralization Reform Program, Subprogram 2
- Strengthening Tax and Fiscal Policy Capacity for Inclusive Growth
- Financial Inclusion Framework Strengthening
- Water District Development Sector Project
- Expanding Private Participation in Infrastructure Program, Subprogram 1
- Encouraging Investment through Capital Market Reforms Program (Subprogram 1)
- Strengthening Institutions for Investments in Mindanao
- Increasing Competitiveness for Inclusive Growth Program (Subprogram 2)
- Teach for the Philippines
Population living below the national poverty line in Philippines (2015)
Maternal mortality ratio in Philippines, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population in Philippines, in millions (2016)
Average annual population growth rate in Philippines (2011-2016)