Philippines and ADB
In the Spotlight
Years of conflict and illegal logging have left swathes of land in the Philippine island of Mindanao in a poor state, but community involvement and modern farming practices introduced by companies like Coffee for Peace are now bringing change. Watch video
Young Rubysol Blasé, known to friends and family as Beetle, tells the story of how in Barangay Katipunan, a small village on Siargao Island in the Philippines, the entire community comes together to decide on what they need to protect and improve the environment they live in.
Erikagen Inc., an inclusive business company that runs the Generika Drugstores in the Philippines, now serves thousands of customers across the country, providing affordable generic medicines and quality healthcare services while still turning a profit
As the Philippine government ramps up infrastructure investment, ADB is helping agencies improve project preparation, speed up approvals, shorten start-up times, and deliver faster. Learn more about the ADB-Philippines Partnership Strategy
The Philippines is among the fastest-growing economies in Southeast Asia, with upgrades to sovereign investment ratings confirming improvements in the country’s macroeconomic fundamentals. The government has defined its development objectives as driving rapid but inclusive economic growth, accelerating employment on a massive scale, and reducing poverty.
Since 1966, ADB has been a strong partner in the development of the Philippines, its host country. The country operations business plan (COBP), 2018–2020 closely aligns with the recently released Philippine Development Plan (PDP), 2017–2022.
The Philippines is part of the Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA).
Projects in the Philippines
- Exacta Asia Investment II, L.P.
- Integrated Flood Risk Management Sector Project
- Enhancing ADB’s Support for Social Protection to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- The Philippine National Oil Company (PNOC) Batangas Liquefied Natural Gas Project
- Advancing Inclusive and Resilient Urban Development Targeted at the Urban Poor
- Facilitating Youth School-to-Work Transition Program (Subprogram 1)
- Local Government Finance and Fiscal Decentralization Reform Program, Subprogram 2
- Expanding Private Participation in Infrastructure Program, Subprogram 1
- Encouraging Investment through Capital Market Reforms Program (Subprogram 1)
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2016 (Subproject 1)