Philippines and ADB
In the Spotlight
This guide describes a six-step process for sanitation safety planning based on the experiences of two water service providers in the Philippines.
In a partnership that spanned 50 years, ADB has been listening to the Philippine government and its people, understanding their needs, and responding by delivering solutions to help the country achieve its development goals.
The Philippine Government has adopted a 25-year long-term vision as a guide for development planning. ADB supported the visioning exercise, which aims to ensure a prosperous Philippines where no one is poor by 2040.
Since its creation in 1966, ADB has been one of the key development partners of the Philippines. From 1969 to 2010, ADB approved loans amounting to $12.4 billion for the Philippines, of which almost 80% financed projects in agriculture and natural resources, energy, finance, public sector management, and transport and information and communication technology.
The Philippines is among the fastest-growing economies in Southeast Asia, with upgrades to sovereign investment ratings confirming improvements in the country’s macroeconomic fundamentals. The government has defined its development objectives as driving rapid but inclusive economic growth, accelerating employment on a massive scale, and reducing poverty.
Since 1966, ADB has been a strong partner in the development of the Philippines, its host country. The country operations business plan, 2017-2019 will help the government achieve more inclusive growth and address income inequalities and regional disparities.
The Philippines is part of the Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA).
Read the ADB and Philippines fact sheet.
Projects in the Philippines
- Strengthening Public-Private Partnerships in the Philippines (Phase 2)
- Secondary Education Support Program
- Empowering Bangsamoro Communities Through Adult Literacy and Productivity Enhancement Programs
- Strengthening Capacity for Implementing the Rural Enterprise and Rural Employment Program
- Enhancing Rural Enterprise and Rural Employment Project
- Expanding Private Participation in Infrastructure Program, Subprogram 1
- Encouraging Investment through Capital Market Reforms Program (Subprogram 1)
- Increasing Competitiveness for Inclusive Growth Program (Subprogram 2)
- Local Government Finance and Fiscal Decentralization Reform Program - Subprogram 1
- Improving National Roads for Inclusive Growth in Mindanao Project
Population living below the national poverty line in Philippines (2012)
Average annual population growth rate in Philippines (2010-2015)
Population in Philippines, in millions (2015)
Maternal mortality ratio in Philippines, per 100,000 live births (2015)