People's Republic of China and ADB
In the Spotlight
Although the city's air pollution problems won't disappear overnight, authorities are pursuing long-term solutions.
Intelligently planned and protected urban green spaces are being introduced in 16 cities in the People's Republic of China to reduce flood risks and manage water resources.
ADB President Takehiko Nakao met with PRC Finance Minister Xiao Jie on 4 January in Beijing and discussed their close cooperation in 2017. This was Minister Xiao Jie’s first meeting with the head of a multilateral lending institution since he assumed office in November 2016.
In this timeline, we review some of the highlights of a partnership that has contributed to the success of one of the most remarkable poverty alleviation programmes in history.
Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
The PRC is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program and Greater Mekong Subregion.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Feasibility Assessment of an Industrial Scale Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage (CCUS)
- Hebei Elderly Care Development Project
- Guangxi Modern Technical and Vocational Education and Training Development Program
- Shanxi Inclusive Agricultural Value Chain Development Project
- Gansu Jinta Concentrated Solar Power Project
- Inclusive and Sustainable Livestock Farming Project
- Public–Private Partnerships Demonstration Program to Transform Delivery of Elderly Care Services in Yichang, Hubei
- Air Quality Improvement in the Greater Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei Region—China National Investment and Guaranty Corporation’s Green Financing Platform Project
- Guangxi Regional Cooperation and Integration Promotion Investment Program - Tranche 1
- Jiangxi Xinyu Kongmu River Watershed Flood Control and Environmental Improvement Project
Population in the People's Republic of China, in millions (2015)
Maternal Mortality Ratio in the People's Republic of China, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in the People's Republic of China (2010-2015)
Population living below the national poverty line in the People's Republic of China (2012)