People's Republic of China and ADB
In the Spotlight
Approved in May 2000, the Suzhou Creek Rehabilitation Project was implemented to address the pollution suffered by the creek through the years. The creek is now a green artery and no longer a health hazard to the 3 million people who live on its banks.
As water shortages worsen, the People’s Republic of China is recycling millions of tons of wastewater for use in factories, cleaning streets, and washing cars.
ADB President Takehiko Nakao addressed the high-level China Development Forum 2017 in Beijing, and pledged ADB’s strong support for the People’s Republic of China’s (PRC’s) reform efforts.
ADB signed agreements with 10 commercial banks to support Dynagreen Environmental Protection Group (Dynagreen) in clean municipal waste-to-energy (WTE) projects with advanced technologies in small and medium-sized cities in the People’s Republic of China (PRC). The $100 million onshore local currency complementary loan agreement was also signed.
Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
The PRC is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program and Greater Mekong Subregion.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Promoting and Scaling Up of Large-Scale Carbon Capture and Storage Demonstration in the People's Republic of China
- Xinjiang Karamay Sustainable Agro-Forestry Development Project
- Qingdao Rural Waste-to-Energy Project
- Shanxi Urban-Rural Water Source Protection and Environmental Demonstration Project
- Gansu Internet-Plus Based Socialized Agricultural Service System Development
- Hebei Elderly Care Development Project
- Preparing Yangtze River Economic Belt Projects
- China Everbright Renewable Energy Project
- Inclusive and Sustainable Livestock Farming Project
- Air Quality Improvement in the Greater Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei Region—China National Investment and Guaranty Corporation’s Green Financing Platform Project
Maternal Mortality Ratio in the People's Republic of China, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population in the People's Republic of China, in millions (2016)
Average annual population growth rate in the People's Republic of China (2011-2016)
Population living below the national poverty line in the People's Republic of China (2015)