People's Republic of China and ADB
In the Spotlight
Strong consumer spending, rising exports, and steady public spending are helping the world’s second largest economy maintain its growth momentum, but tax and other structural reforms are needed in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) for continued inclusive and sustainable development, according to a new ADB report.
The final leg of the 813-kilometer North-South Corridor from Kunming in southern People’s Republic of China to Hai Phong, Viet Nam, was upgraded in 2014. People and goods now flow freely all along the route.
This publication compiles the best practices for the introduction and development of road asset management based on a desk review of the experiences in the 11 member countries of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program, including the People's Republic of China.
ADB's Board of Directors has approved a €428 million ($499 million) loan to set up a regional emission-reduction and pollution-control facility to improve air quality in the greater Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei region.
Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
The PRC is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program and Greater Mekong Subregion.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Yuxi-Mohan Subregional Railway Link Project
- Sichuan Ziyang Green Transformation and Development Project
- Chongqing Longxi River Basin Integrated Flood and Environmental Risk Management Project
- Qingdao Rural Waste-to-Energy and Clean Energy Supply in Rural and Suburban Area Project
- Xinjiang Hetian Comprehensive Urban Development and Environmental Improvement Project
- Accelerating the Reform of Application-Oriented Undergraduate Programs at Local Universities in Yunnan Province
- Guangxi Regional Cooperation and Integration Promotion Investment Program (Tranche 2)
- Capacity Development Support to the National and Local Joint Engineering Research Center on Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Sequestration at Northwest University (Subproject 1)
- Judicial Reform: Using Big Data to Improve Delivery of Justice
- Strengthening the Role of E-Commerce in Poverty Reduction in Southwestern Mountainous Areas in Chongqing
- Shanxi Inclusive Agricultural Value Chain Development
- Shandong Spring City Green Modern Trolley Bus Demonstration
- Guangxi Regional Cooperation and Integration Promotion Investment Program
- Guangxi Modern Technical and Vocational Education and Training Development Program
- Guizhou High Efficiency Water Utilization Demonstration in Rocky Desertification Area