People's Republic of China and ADB
In the Spotlight
A new bus rapid transit system is cutting down traffic and pollution in Yichang, People’s Republic of China, while giving people a renewed sense of pride in their city.
In this timeline, we review some of the highlights of a partnership that has contributed to the success of one of the most remarkable poverty alleviation programmes in history.
As water shortages worsen, the People’s Republic of China is recycling millions of tons of wastewater for use in factories, cleaning streets, and washing cars.
Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
The PRC is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program and Greater Mekong Subregion.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Feasibility Assessment of an Industrial Scale Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage (CCUS)
- Hebei Elderly Care Development Project
- Heilongjiang Coal-Rich Cities Redevelopment Project
- Air Quality Improvement in the Greater Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei Region—China National Investment and Guaranty Corporation’s Green Financing Platform Project
- Shanxi Inclusive Agricultural Value Chain Development Project
- Guangxi Regional Cooperation and Integration Promotion Investment Program
- Shaanxi Accelerated Energy Efficiency and Environment Improvement Financing Project
- Creating Enabling Environments for Gradual Rural-Urban Migration and Urban Settlements Development in Chuxiong Yi Autonomous Prefecture
- Hubei Yichang Comprehensive Elderly Care Demonstration Project
- Vocational Education-Enterprise Collaboration for Student Employment-Based Poverty Reduction in Gansu
- Municipality-Level Public–Private Partnership Operational Framework for Chongqing
- Green Finance Reform
- Study on Local Financial Market Development and Supervisory Framework
- Henan Hebi Qihe River Environmental Improvement and Ecological Conservation Project
- Strategy and Transport Policy Study on Promoting Logistics Development in Rural Areas
Population living below the national poverty line in the People's Republic of China (2012)
Population in the People's Republic of China, in millions (2015)
Maternal Mortality Ratio in the People's Republic of China, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in the People's Republic of China (2010-2015)