People's Republic of China and ADB
In the Spotlight
This publication compiles the best practices for the introduction and development of road asset management based on a desk review of the experiences in the 11 member countries of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program, including the People's Republic of China.
ADB's Board of Directors has approved a €428 million ($499 million) loan to set up a regional emission-reduction and pollution-control facility to improve air quality in the greater Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei region.
ADB's Board of Directors has approved a $310 million loan to help catalyze economic diversification and revitalization in four coal-dependent cities in Heilongjiang Province in the northeastern region of the PRC.
Stronger than expected external demand and proactive fiscal policy and strong domestic consumption pushes the PRC's growth projection higher than was previously forecasted for 2017 and 2018, according to a new ADB report. Read the report
Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
The PRC is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program and Greater Mekong Subregion.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Yuxi-Mohan Subregional Railway Link Project
- Sichuan Ziyang Green Transformation and Development Project
- Chongqing Longxi River Environment Comprehensive Treatment and Ecological Protection Demonstration
- Qingdao Rural Waste-to-Energy and Clean Energy Supply in Rural and Suburban Area Project
- Xinjiang Hetian Comprehensive Urban Development and Environmental Improvement Project
- Judicial Reform: Using Big Data to Improve Delivery of Justice
- Strengthening the Role of E-Commerce in Poverty Reduction in Southwestern Mountainous Areas in Chongqing
- Improving Ecological Protection and Poverty Alleviation Outcomes of the Rare-Earth Sector in Jiangxi Province
- Air Quality Improvement in the Greater Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei Region—Regional Emission-Reduction and Pollution-Control Facility
- Heilongjiang Green Urban and Economic Revitalization Project
- Shanxi Inclusive Agricultural Value Chain Development
- Shandong Spring City Green Modern Trolley Bus Demonstration
- Guangxi Modern Technical and Vocational Education and Training Development Program
- Guizhou High Efficiency Water Utilization Demonstration in Rocky Desertification Area
- Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Air Quality Improvement-Hebei Policy Reforms Program
Average annual population growth rate in the People's Republic of China (2011-2016)
Population living below the national rural poverty line in the People's Republic of China (2015; refers to only part of the country)
Maternal mortality ratio in the People's Republic of China, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population in the People's Republic of China, in millions (2016)