Tajikistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
The Asian Development Bank helped Tajikistan upgrade and modernize the Nurek hydropower plant, which produces around 60% of the nation’s electricity, providing a more reliable and stable energy supply that supports economic growth in the country and its neighbors.
Tajikistan is rich with clean energy resources with an average of 320 sunny days in a year. ADB and the Clean Energy Fund helped upgrade the facilities of the Tajikistan Energy Institute to better prepare its 2,000 students for a career in the country’s growing clean energy sector.
ADB Vice-President Mr. Wencai Zhang on 13 August met with the Prime Minister of the Republic of Tajikistan Mr. Kohir Rasulzoda, First Deputy Prime Minister and ADB Governor Mr. Davlatali Said, Economic Development and Trade Minister and ADB Alternate Governor Mr. Nematullo Khikmatullozoda and other senior government officials in Dushanbe.
Tajikistan and ADB upgraded the Dushanbe-Tursunzade road which is part of the CAREC Corridor 3 that spans almost 7,000 kilometers. The improved vital road connects the country to its neighbors and opens up opportunities for trade and commerce.
With some of the world’s highest mountains covering a staggering 93% of its territory, Tajikistan faces some obvious obstacles to its development. These include unstable food security, limited transport connectivity, and low levels of private investment.
Due to its narrow economic base and a heavy reliance on remittances by labor migrants, Tajikistan’s economy remains vulnerable to external shocks.
ADB's country partnership strategy, 2016–2020 for Tajikistan has broad objectives to diversify the economy and create more high-income jobs.
Tajikistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Tajikistan
- Using Information and Communications Technology to Enhance Efficiency in Agriculture in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Republic of Tajikistan
- Climate-Resilient Dairy Value Chain Development Project
- Maternal and Child Health Integrated Care Project
- Reconnection to the Central Asian Power System Project
- Implementing Integrated Trade Agenda in CAREC
- Investment Climate Reforms Program - Subprogram 2
- Achieving Food Security through Climate Resilience Dairy Value Chain Development
- Investment Climate Reforms Program (Subprogram 1)
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2016 (Subproject 1)
- CAREC Corridors 2, 5, and 6 (Dushanbe–Kurgonteppa) Road Project