Tajikistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
Tajikistan is rich with clean energy resources with an average of 320 sunny days in a year. ADB and the Clean Energy Fund helped upgrade the facilities of the Tajikistan Energy Institute to better prepare its 2,000 students for a career in the country’s growing clean energy sector.
ADB Vice-President Mr. Wencai Zhang on 13 August met with the Prime Minister of the Republic of Tajikistan Mr. Kohir Rasulzoda, First Deputy Prime Minister and ADB Governor Mr. Davlatali Said, Economic Development and Trade Minister and ADB Alternate Governor Mr. Nematullo Khikmatullozoda and other senior government officials in Dushanbe.
Tajikistan and ADB upgraded the Dushanbe-Tursunzade road which is part of the CAREC Corridor 3 that spans almost 7,000 kilometers. The improved vital road connects the country to its neighbors and opens up opportunities for trade and commerce.
Tajikistan has grown its economy and reduced poverty over more than two decades of partnership with ADB.
With some of the world’s highest mountains covering a staggering 93% of its territory, Tajikistan faces some obvious obstacles to its development. These include unstable food security, limited transport connectivity, and low levels of private investment.
Due to its narrow economic base and a heavy reliance on remittances by labor migrants, Tajikistan’s economy remains vulnerable to external shocks.
ADB's country partnership strategy, 2016–2020 for Tajikistan has broad objectives to diversify the economy and create more high-income jobs.
Tajikistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Tajikistan
- Using Information and Communications Technology to Enhance Efficiency in Agriculture in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Republic of Tajikistan
- Climate-Resilient Dairy Value Chain Development Project
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 2, 3, and 5 (Obigarm-Nurobod) Road Project
- Skills and Competitiveness Sector Development Program
- Sughdneft Expansion Project
- Promoting Investments and Economic Growth in Central and West Asia, East Asia, and South Asia Subregions
- National Disaster Risk Management Project
- Dushanbe Water Supply and Sanitation Project
- Implementing the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation 2030 Strategy for Sustainable Regional Development
- Supporting Social Safeguards in the Central and West Asia Region