Tajikistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB Vice-President Mr. Wencai Zhang on 13 August met with the Prime Minister of the Republic of Tajikistan Mr. Kohir Rasulzoda, First Deputy Prime Minister and ADB Governor Mr. Davlatali Said, Economic Development and Trade Minister and ADB Alternate Governor Mr. Nematullo Khikmatullozoda and other senior government officials in Dushanbe.
Tajikistan and ADB upgraded the Dushanbe-Tursunzade road which is part of the CAREC Corridor 3 that spans almost 7,000 kilometers. The improved vital road connects the country to its neighbors and opens up opportunities for trade and commerce.
Tajikistan has grown its economy and reduced poverty over more than two decades of partnership with ADB.
ADB's Board of Directors has approved a $90 million grant as additional financing for the rehabilitation of a 40-km road to improve connectivity between Dushanbe and Kurgonteppa and enhance highway network safety.
With some of the world’s highest mountains covering a staggering 93% of its territory, Tajikistan faces some obvious obstacles to its development. These include a lack of reliable power supply, unstable food security, limited transport connectivity, and low levels of private investment.
Due to its narrow economic base and a heavy reliance on remittances by labor migrants, Tajikistan’s economy remains vulnerable to external shocks.
ADB's country partnership strategy, 2016–2020 for Tajikistan has broad objectives to diversify the economy and create more high-income jobs.
Tajikistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Tajikistan
- Dushanbe Water Supply and Sanitation Project
- Using Information and Communications Technology to Enhance Efficiency in Agriculture in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Republic of Tajikistan
- Climate-Resilient Dairy Value Chain Development Project
- Sughdneft Expansion Project
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 2, 3, and 5 (Obigarm-Nurobod) Road Project
- Implementing the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation 2030 Strategy for Sustainable Regional Development
- Supporting Social Safeguards in the Central and West Asia Region
- Supporting Environmental Safeguards in the Central and West Asia Region
- Water Resources Management in the Pyanj River Basin Project (Additional Finance)
- Enhancing ADB’s Support for Social Protection to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals