Tajikistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
Tajikistan has grown its economy and has reduced the number of its citizens living in poverty during nearly 2 decades of partnership with ADB. Improving roads and power supply has been a top priority.
Tajikistan's growth accelerated to 6.9% in 2016 from 6.0% in 2015 thanks to higher public investment. Find out about current and projected economic growth in Tajikistan and compare the data with other developing countries in Central Asia
Climate change-induced avalanches, flash floods, droughts, and landslides, are becoming increasingly frequent in mountainous Tajikistan. Through the Pilot Program for Climate Resilience of the Climate Investment Funds, ADB has been helping the country improve resilience to extreme weather events in the Pyanj River Basin, protecting land, crops, and infrastructure, and saving human lives. Read more about the project
ADB welcomed Tajikistan as a member in 1998. During 15 years of partnership with the country, ADB has helped improve the welfare of the Tajik people.
With some of the world’s highest mountains covering a staggering 93% of its territory, Tajikistan faces some obvious obstacles to its development. These include a lack of reliable power supply, unstable food security, limited transport connectivity, and low levels of private investment.
Due to its narrow economic base and a heavy reliance on remittances by labor migrants, Tajikistan’s economy remains vulnerable to external shocks.
ADB's country partnership strategy, 2016–2020 for Tajikistan has broad objectives to diversify the economy and create more high-income jobs.
Tajikistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Tajikistan
- Dushanbe Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Project
- Investment Climate Reforms Program - Subprogram 2
- Achieving Food Security through Climate Resilience Dairy Value Chain Development
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 2, 5, and 6 (Dushanbe–Kurgonteppa) Road Project
- Water Resources Management in Pyanj River Basin Project
- Investment Climate Reforms Program (Subprogram 1)
- Water Resources Management in Pyanj River Basin
- Wholesale Metering and Transmission Reinforcement Project
- Strengthening Private Sector Participation in Technical and Vocational Education and Training
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 3 and 5 Enhancement Project
Average annual population growth rate in Tajikistan (2011-2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in Tajikistan, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population living below the national poverty line in Tajikistan (2015)
Population in Tajikistan, in millions (2016)