Tajikistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
Tajikistan's growth accelerated to 6.9% in 2016 from 6.0% in 2015 thanks to higher public investment. Find out about current and projected economic growth in Tajikistan and compare the data with other developing countries in Central Asia
Climate change-induced avalanches, flash floods, droughts, and landslides, are becoming increasingly frequent in mountainous Tajikistan. Through the Pilot Program for Climate Resilience of the Climate Investment Funds, ADB has been helping the country improve resilience to extreme weather events in the Pyanj River Basin, protecting land, crops, and infrastructure, and saving human lives. Read more about the project
Preparatory work has begun for a proposed project to improve food security in Tajikistan by boosting dairy production while making the industry more resilient to climate change.
ADB and Tajikistan have agreed on a 5-year partnership strategy to promote more sustained and inclusive growth that is less susceptible to external shocks, and create higher-paying jobs.
With some of the world’s highest mountains covering a staggering 93% of its territory, Tajikistan faces some obvious obstacles to its development. These include a lack of reliable power supply, unstable food security, limited transport connectivity, and low levels of private investment.
Due to its narrow economic base and a heavy reliance on remittances by labor migrants, Tajikistan’s economy remains vulnerable to external shocks.
ADB's country partnership strategy, 2016–2020 for Tajikistan has broad objectives to diversify the economy and create more high-income jobs.
Tajikistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Tajikistan
- Investment Climate Reforms Program - Subprogram 2
- Achieving Food Security through Climate Resilience Dairy Value Chain Development
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 2, 5, and 6 (Dushanbe–Kurgonteppa) Road Project
- Water Resources Management in Pyanj River Basin Project
- Strengthening Technical and Vocational Education and Training
- Investment Climate Reforms Program (Subprogram 1)
- Water Resources Management in Pyanj River Basin
- Wholesale Metering and Transmission Reinforcement Project
- Strengthening Private Sector Participation in Technical and Vocational Education and Training
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 3 and 5 Enhancement Project
Maternal mortality ratio in Tajikistan, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in Tajikistan (2011-2016)
Population in Tajikistan, in millions (2016)
Population living below the national poverty line in Tajikistan (2015)