Thailand and ADB
In the Spotlight
A new non-GMO, organic rice variety is now helping smallholder farmers in North Thailand out of poverty, while also improving their diet.
ADB signed a loan equivalent of up with $235 million to B.Grimm Power Public Company Limited (B.Grimm Power), one of the largest power producers in Thailand, to develop and enhance renewable energy capacity in member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
ADB has been present since the start of Thailand’s impressive journey to middle-income status.
Having attained upper-middle-income status in recent times, Thailand aspires to reach higher-income status within the next decade. With its strategic geopolitical position and significance as the second-largest economy in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the country plays a major role in promoting regional cooperation and integration.
Since the late 1990s, economic growth has been impeded by global economic shocks, natural disasters, sociopolitical tensions, and relatively low investment. Other challenges to growth have included persistent inequality, environmental degradation, and an aging population. In July 2014, Thailand approved a long-term Infrastructure Development Plan to boost the country’s competitiveness, by improving and expanding its logistics and transport networks.
ADB's country partnership strategy for Thailand provides the flexibility to respond to the country’s needs and priorities through sovereign and nonsovereign support.
Thailand is a member of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS). It is also part of the Indonesia–Malaysia–Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT–GT) subregional program.
Projects in Thailand
- Strengthening Regional Health Cooperation in the Greater Mekong Subregion
- Integrated Ticketing System for the Mass Rapid Transit
- Enhancing Effectiveness of Subregional Programs to Advance Regional Cooperation and Integration in Southeast Asia
- Green and Innovative Finance Initiative for Scaling-Up Southeast Asian Infrastructure
- Southern Thailand Waste-to-Energy Project
- Exacta Asia Investment II, L.P.
- Deepening Understanding of Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Developing Member Countries for Improved Economic Assessment
- Enhancing ADB’s Support for Social Protection to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- Strengthening Asia's Financial Safety Nets and Resolution Mechanisms
- Capacity Building Program for Journalists in Developing Member Countries, 2018-2019