Thailand and ADB
In the Spotlight
Green bonds are an increasingly viable option for investors in Asia, like pension and superannuation funds, looking to get involved in green sustainable financing.
A new non-GMO, organic rice variety is now helping smallholder farmers in North Thailand out of poverty, while also improving their diet.
ADB signed a loan equivalent of up with $235 million to B.Grimm Power Public Company Limited (B.Grimm Power), one of the largest power producers in Thailand, to develop and enhance renewable energy capacity in member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
Having attained upper-middle-income status in recent times, Thailand aspires to reach higher-income status within the next decade. With its strategic geopolitical position and significance as the second-largest economy in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the country plays a major role in promoting regional cooperation and integration.
Since the late 1990s, economic growth has been impeded by global economic shocks, natural disasters, sociopolitical tensions, and relatively low investment. Other challenges to growth have included persistent inequality, environmental degradation, and an aging population. In July 2014, Thailand approved a long-term Infrastructure Development Plan to boost the country’s competitiveness, by improving and expanding its logistics and transport networks.
ADB's country partnership strategy for Thailand provides the flexibility to respond to the country’s needs and priorities through sovereign and nonsovereign support.
Thailand is a member of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS). It is also part of the Indonesia–Malaysia–Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT–GT) subregional program.
Projects in Thailand
- Integrated Ticketing System for the Mass Rapid Transit
- Promoting Action on Plastic Pollution from Source to Sea in Asia and the Pacific
- Eastern Economic Corridor Independent Power Project
- Creating Ecosystems for Green Local Currency Bonds for Infrastructure Development in ASEAN+3
- Connecting the Railways of the Greater Mekong Subregion, Phase 2
- Supporting the Implementation of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation Initiatives
- Support for Human and Social Development in Southeast Asia
- Developing Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism Approaches, Methodologies, and Controls (Subproject B)
- Support for Innovation and Technology Partnerships in Asia and the Pacific
- Thailand Green Bond Project