Turkmenistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
This publication compiles the best practices for the introduction and development of road asset management based on a desk review of the experiences in the 11 member countries of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program, including Turkmenistan.
Signing of the framework agreement for the proposed Turkmenistan–Afghanistan–Pakistan (TAP) Power Interconnection Project will pave the way for enabling power trade and exchange among the three countries.
ADB Board of Directors has endorsed a 5-year Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) for Turkmenistan to support regional cooperation and economic diversification during 2017-2021. This is ADB’s first full CPS with Turkmenistan since the country joined ADB in 2000.
ADB's country operations business plan, 2018–2019, for Turkmenistan is aligned with ADB’s country partnership strategy, 2017–2021. ADB will explore the potential of nonsovereign operations to promote private sector investment in the country.
ADB began working with Turkmenistan in 2000 and has since been helping to diversify the country’s economic base and increase its share of regional trade.
Given Turkmenistan’s vast energy resources and strategic location, ADB operations focus on enhancements to the country’s transport and energy sectors, with infrastructure projects fostering regional cooperation. ADB has also provided expert advice through a technical assistance grant to facilitate the long-term exporting of power to Afghanistan.
Turkmenistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Turkmenistan
- Preparing the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 2, 3 and 6 (Turkmenabat–Mary–Ashgabat–Turkmenbashi) Railway Modernization Projects
- Modernizing Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures to Facilitate Trade
- Promoting Low-Carbon Development in Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Program Cities
- Power Sector Development Project
- Selected Evaluation Studies and Outreach 2017-2019 - Selected Evaluation Studies and Outreach for 2017-2018 (Subproject 1)
- Asian Development Outlook 2015
- Prevention and Control of HIV/AIDS and Other Communicable Diseases in Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Countries
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation: Midterm Review of the Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy and Implementation Action Plan
- Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India Natural Gas Pipeline Project, Phase 3
- Afghanistan and Turkmenistan: Regional Power Interconnection Project