Uzbekistan and ADB
In the Spotlight
High infrastructure spending, an improved investment climate, increased exports, and expected agriculture pickup are helping Uzbekistan sustain its growth, but the economy remains challenged by persistent credit expansion, accelerated inflation, and a widening current account deficit, according to a new report by ADB.
This study seeks to assess the potential of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program as a platform to promote a regional approach to tourism development.
ADB Board of Directors has approved a $300 million policy-based loan to help improve economic management in Uzbekistan, which will help support macroeconomic stability and sustain high growth in the country.
Uzbekistan is a country striving for inclusive economic growth and narrowing of gaps in infrastructure quality between rural and urban areas through economic liberalization, private sector development, regional cooperation and integration.
The country operations business plan (COBP), 2019–2021 for Uzbekistan builds on the current country partnership strategy (CPS) for Uzbekistan and is consistent with the recent government initiatives and the forthcoming CPS for Uzbekistan for 2019–2023 under preparation. The COBP includes operational support for agriculture, transport, energy, municipal services, health, education, social protection, and access to finance. Support for the key drivers of change—including private sector development, regional cooperation, governance, and others—is integrated into the operational assistance.
Uzbekistan is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
Projects in Uzbekistan
- Sustainable Hydropower Project
- Regional Gas Transmission Efficiency Enhancement Program
- Skills Development for a Modern Economy Project
- Livestock Value Chain Development Project
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation: Knowledge Sharing and Services in Transport and Transport Facilitation (Phase 2)
- Railway Efficiency Improvement Project
- Second Tashkent Province Water Supply Development Project
- Operationalization of the Uzbekistan Mortgage Refinancing Company
- Regional Cooperation on Increasing Cross-Border Energy Trading within the Central Asian Power System - Provision of Solutions to Bottlenecks to the Regional Power Trade (Subproject 2)
- Implementing the Integrated Trade Agenda in the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Program