Vanuatu and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB is scaling up its assistance in the Pacific, with our active portfolio growing from $500 million in 2004 to $2.6 billion at the end of 2017.
Efforts to support private sector development should be stepped up to boost Vanuatu’s economy, with growth expected to moderate to 3.2% in 2018 and 3.0% in 2019, says a new ADB report.
Countries in the Pacific should step up their efforts to adapt to more extreme weather conditions and mitigate disaster risks to improve the region’s economic growth prospects, according to ADB's latest Pacific Economic Monitor.
Vanuatu has posted strong economic performance in recent years, driven primarily by tourism, construction, and aid inflows from development partners. However, key constraints to implementing assistance programs persist. These include the country’s remoteness, small market size, underdeveloped institutions, and limited absorptive capacity. The rural economy is primarily agrarian, with largely subsistence farming, aside from some copra, beef, cocoa, and kava produced for export.
The country operations business plan (COBP), 2017-2019 for Vanuatu is aligned with the government’s Priorities and Action Agenda, 2006-2015, infrastructure strategic investment plan, and national energy road map. ADB operations support energy, transport, water and other urban infrastructure and services, and public sector management.
Projects in Vanuatu
- Enhancing ADB’s Support for Social Protection to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- Capacity Building and Sector Reform for Renewable Energy Investments in the Pacific
- Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific 2018-2020 – Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific 2019 (Subproject 2)
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2018 (Subproject 3)
- Energy Access Project
- Institutional Strengthening for Environmental Safeguards in Vanuatu
- Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 - Asian Development Outlook 2016 (Subproject 1)
- Vanuatu Cyclone Pam Disaster Response Project
- Supporting the Preparation of the National Sustainable Development Plan
- Asian Development Outlook 2015