Vanuatu and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB is scaling up its assistance in the Pacific, with our active portfolio growing from $500 million in 2004 to $2.6 billion at the end of 2017.
Efforts to support private sector development should be stepped up to boost Vanuatu’s economy, with growth expected to moderate to 3.2% in 2018 and 3.0% in 2019, says a new ADB report.
The Pacific Transport Update 2018 provides an update of transport projects and assistance of ADB in the Pacific as of 2018. ADB continues to assist in the development of the transport sector in 14 Pacific countries through technical assistance, loan, and grant financing.
Vanuatu has posted strong economic performance in recent years, driven primarily by tourism, construction, and aid inflows from development partners. However, key constraints to implementing assistance programs persist. These include the country’s remoteness, small market size, underdeveloped institutions, and limited absorptive capacity. The rural economy is primarily agrarian, with largely subsistence farming, aside from some copra, beef, cocoa, and kava produced for export.
The country operations business plan (COBP), 2017-2019 for Vanuatu is aligned with the government’s Priorities and Action Agenda, 2006-2015, infrastructure strategic investment plan, and national energy road map. ADB operations support energy, transport, water and other urban infrastructure and services, and public sector management.
Projects in Vanuatu
No projects in this category were found.
- Implementing a Differentiated Approach to Urban Development in the Pacific
- Asian Development Outlook 2019–2021
- Pacific Information and Communication Technology Investment Planning and Capacity Development Facility (Phase 2) - Information and Communication Technology Sector Assessment in the Pacific DMCs (Subproject 2)
- Enhancing ADB’s Support for Social Protection to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- Pacific Information and Communication Technology Investment Planning and Capacity Development Facility (Phase 2) - Feasibility Assessment for e-Government Rollout in the Pacific Developing Member Countries (Subproject 1)