Asian Development Bank Sustainability Report 2018: Investing for an Asia and the Pacific Free of Poverty
This biennial Sustainability Report highlights the integration of sustainability into ADB’s operations and organizational activities during 2016–2017.
ADB is developing a new long-term strategy to eradicate poverty in the region and achieve a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific. Under the new strategy, ADB’s actions will be aligned with global commitments such as the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
As a steadfast partner in the region’s significant transformation, ADB
- has merged its concessional Asian Development Fund lending operations with the ordinary capital resources balance sheet to deliver much higher levels of assistance to our developing members countries for years to come;
- will channel more funds into projects that promote environmentally sustainable, low-carbon, and climate-resilient development through the issuance of $2.8 billion in green bonds during 2016–2017;
- has approved financing of climate mitigation and adaptation at a record $4.5 billion in 2017, which will help achieve the target of doubling annual climate finance to $6 billion by 2020;
- is committed to reducing operational greenhouse gas emissions in line with efforts to limit global warming to 2°C with the launch of Climate Change Operational Framework 2017–2030;
- will continue promoting inclusive economic and environmentally sustainable growth in developing member countries
- will keep improving its own organizational culture and activities; and
- will invest in its workforce, promote diversity including gender balance, and ensure a respectful workplace.
To maintain the region’s growth momentum, eradicate poverty, and mitigate and adapt to climate change, ADB’s research has estimated that developing Asia needs to invest $1.7 trillion per year in infrastructure. ADB will continue to work with clients and partners to ensure best contribution to the region’s continued prosperity.
About the report
ADB’s Sustainability Report allows stakeholders to assess ADB’s operational and organizational sustainability performance, providing them with a single point of reference to understand ADB’s commitment to sustainable development. A separate detailed Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Content Index sets out ADB’s management approaches to material topics and responses to general and specific disclosures in the GRI Sustainability Reporting Standards.
- The President’s Statement
- About ADB and the Sustainability Report
- Ensuring Inclusive, Environmentally Sustainable Operations
- Improving Organizational Culture and Resource Management