Development Effectiveness Review 2010 Report
ADB's fourth annual performance report by Management finds that ADB made good progress toward many of its Strategy 2020 targets, and shows that its reform measures are yielding results.
It also highlights areas where ADB needs to improve its performance and outlines the corrective measures it is implementing.
Development Effectiveness Review 2010 (DEfR) analyzes performance at the four levels of ADB's results framework:
- Level 1: The development progress Asia and the Pacific is making,
- Level 2: How ADB operations performed in delivering sector outputs and outcomes,
- Level 3: How effectively ADB is managing its operations, and
- Level 4: How efficiently ADB is managing itself.
The review assesses ADB's performance in managing its entire operations, as well as its operations funded by the Asian Development Fund, its concessional financing window. Summary Asia and the Pacific continued to make progress in reducing poverty, improving gender equality, and achieving other development outcomes; but progress in many non-income poverty indicators remained insufficient, making it unlikely that the region will meet 6 of the 12 Millennium Development Goal targets tracked by the ADB results framework.
The review found that ADB continued to improve many aspects of its operational and organizational effectiveness, and was on track to deliver planned operational outputs. However, it also confirmed a declining trend in the delivery of development outcomes from recently completed operations. The review highlighted the improvement in the design quality of ADB's new operations, expanded support for Strategy 2020 core areas, increased mobilization of finance for developing member countries, improved knowledge management and partnerships, better management of human resources, and more efficient business processes.
While reporting good progress in addressing problems identified in previous reviews, the 2010 review underscores the need for further actions to boost ADB's development effectiveness. ADB will implement a time-bound action plan to sustain the good progress shown in many areas and overcome the challenges identified.
- Executive Summary
- Level 1: Asia and Pacific Development Outcomes
- Level 2: Core Outputs and Outcomes
- Level 3: Operational Effectiveness
- Level 4: Organizational Effectiveness
- Supplementary Appendix A: Technical Note on the Development Effectiveness Review Rating System
- Supplementary Appendix B: Review of Core Sector Outcomes and Thematic Results Reported in 2010 Technical Assistance Completion Reports
- Supplementary Appendix C: Review of Core Sector Outcomes and Thematic Results Reported in 2010 Project Completion Reports
- Supplementary Appendix D: Review of 2010 Program Completion Reports