Gender Equality and Social Inclusion in ADB Operations in Nepal, 2011–2015
Gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) is a serious global challenge that ADB is fully committed to pursuing.
The mainstreaming of GESI into the design, implementation, and monitoring of ADB-financed operations is considered critical to ensuring that women, the poor, and other disadvantaged groups share equitably in the benefits arising from ADB projects.
This report on GESI in the operations of ADB in Nepal from 2011 to 2015 marks the culmination of systematic efforts made by the GESI staff at ADB’s Nepal Resident Mission (NRM) to gather GESI results at project and institutional level across key sectors of ADB operations in Nepal. Five sectors are covered in this report: agriculture and natural resources, education and skills development, urban development and water supply and sanitation, transport, and energy.
The results, derived from a thorough analysis of GESI Action Plan Status Reports for 2011–2015, are presented under six themes: enabling policy and institutional environment; participation in decision making; equitable access to basic infrastructure; human capital development; capacity building and skills development; and employment and economic empowerment. The report is intended to be used both within ADB and by external audience eager to learn from NRM’s experience in implementing GESI action plans of sector projects and related challenges in Nepal.
- Tables, Figures, and Boxes
- Asian Development Bank Policy on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment
- Gender Equality and Social Inclusion in the Nepal Country Partnership Strategy
- Approaches to Mainstreaming Gender Equality and Social Inclusion
- Achievements and Progress
- Enabling Policy and Institutional Environment
- Equitable Access to Basic Infrastructure
- Participation in Decision Making
- Human Capital Development
- Capacity Building and Skills Development
- Employment and Economic Opportunities
- Lessons, Challenges, and Recommendations
- Challenges and the Way Forward
- Appendix: Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Approaches, by Sector and by Project