Guide to Performance-Based Road Maintenance Contracts
This guide serves as a reference for implementing performance-based road maintenance contracts in Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) countries to promote effective and efficient maintenance of road networks.
Road asset management is one of the top priorities of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Transport and Trade Facilitation Strategy 2020. The implementation of performance-based road maintenance contracts (PBCs)—an essential element of road asset management—promotes effective and efficient maintenance of road networks. Well-designed PBCs keep roads in predefined good condition at relatively low cost. This guide aims to help policy makers in CAREC member countries understand and implement PBCs. After a brief history of the development of PBCs, it discusses the various types of PBCs and their relative advantages and disadvantages. It highlights PBC implementation in selected developed, developing, and transitional countries, including CAREC member countries, to illustrate best practices.
- Objectives and Purpose
- Basic Concepts of Performance-Based Road Maintenance Contracts
- Implementation Experiences
- Lessons Learned
- Performance-Based Road Maintenance Contracts Implementation Strategy in CAREC Member Countries
- Recommended Options for Pilot Performance-Based Road Maintenance Contracts in CAREC Member Countries
- Role of International Financial Institutions