Knowledge Management Directions and Action Plan (2013-2015): Supporting “Finance ++” at the Asian Development Bank
The knowledge management directions and action plan set out in this publication focus on prioritizing and implementing knowledge solutions; enriching the quality of ADB and DMCs' knowledge capabilities for development effectiveness.
Applying collective know-how to solve complex development challenges is key for achieving lasting development results more quickly. ADB's long-term strategic framework, Strategy 2020, identifies "knowledge solutions" as a driver of change for stimulating growth and synergizing broader assistance in its operations. ADB's goal is to turn them into a comparative advantage for the institution to benefit of Developing Member Countries (DMCs).
The experience gained under ADB's Knowledge Management Action Plan (2009-2011) provides a solid foundation for evolving ADB's knowledge solutions under the new Knowledge Management Directions and Action Plan (2013-2015). ADB's aim is to offer "finance ++": a superior combination of ADB's own finance plus leveraging resources through partnership plus providing knowledge to DMCs to maximize and accelerate development effectiveness.
Going forward, ADB's knowledge solutions must be a clear response to priority development challenges facing DMCs, individually or collectively. They need to involve DMCs in both the planning and implementation of the knowledge solutions, as well as assist DMCs in identifying and improving understanding and appreciation of their current and future challenges, the contexts from which the challenges emerge and will likely be addressed, and the risks and opportunity costs of not addressing the challenges.
Knowledge solutions are also needed to help DMCs identify and apply more advanced and feasible approaches to overcome their challenges - using all channels of ADB assistance - and contribute toward developing DMC capacity for knowledge solutions.
The knowledge management directions and action plan set out in this publication focus on:
- prioritizing and implementing knowledge solutions;
- enriching the quality of ADB and DMCs' knowledge capabilities for development effectiveness;
- advancing ADB's knowledge assets, information systems, and communications; and
- empowering and resourcing high-quality knowledge solutions.
ADB's new Knowledge Management Directions and Action Plan (2013-2015) recognizes the special relationship between ADB and the ADB Institute (ADBI).
- Introduction and Background
- The Changing Knowledge Needs of Developing Asia and the Pacific and ADB's Role
- Prioritizing and Implementing Knowledge Solutions
- Enriching the Qualityof ADB and DMC Knowledge Capabilities for Development Effectiveness
- Advancing ADB's Knowledge Assets, Information Systems, and Communications
- Empowering and Resourcing High-Quality Knowledge Solutions
- Annex: Knowledge Management Action Plan (2013-2015)