Lao PDR: An Evaluation Synthesis On Rice
This case study investigates the development in the rice sector in the Lao People's Democratic Republic and its importance to the current cultural, social, and economic contexts.
This case study reviews the development in the rice sector in the Lao People's Democratic Republic since the introduction of the New Economic Mechanism (NEM) in 1986, including
- the importance of rice in the current cultural, social, and economic context;
- rice production systems, highlighting characteristics of the rice-growing areas;
- constraints facing rice farmers;
- research conducted and technologies developed to address these constraints;
- pattern of growth in rice production; and
- future priorities for further rice development.
- Current Rice Situation in the Lao PDR
- Characteristics of Rice Production Systems
- Rice Research, Technology Development, and Dissemination
- Analysis of Rice Production Trends and Growth Patterns
- Rice Marketing
- Major Current and Future Issues