The Operational Plan for Agriculture and Natural Resources: Promoting Sustainable Food Security in Asia and the Pacific in 2015–2020
Scaling-up of agriculture operations and an increased emphasis on natural resources management are actions needed to address food security concerns across Asia and the Pacific.
Agriculture and food security should be viewed in the context of the broader economic transformation in Asia and the Pacific. In particular, the adoption of food security policies that address both immediate needs and medium- to long-term resilience requirements at national, regional, and global levels, are urgently needed in the region. Recommended interventions for agriculture and natural resources operations include:
- revitalizing agricultural productivity while simultaneously addressing the expected impacts of climate change on agriculture;
- ensuring that small farmers have the opportunity to engage effectively in modern food value chains;
- addressing the dimensions of malnutrition through simple cost-effective interventions that can be added to rural investment projects (e.g., micronutrient supplementation and biofortification); and
- increasing attention to the economically strategic nature of food security in providing advice to governments.
To achieve better outcomes from agriculture and natural resources investments, four dimensions of efforts are emphasized: fostering public-private partnership (PPP), drawing on cross-sector synergies and complementarities, strengthening intra- and inter-institutional coordination, and improving environmental sustainability.
About this publication
This operational plan guides ADB in meeting the recommendations of the midterm review of the ADB Strategy 2020 to provide increased emphasis on food security and agriculture productivity.
The plan, which builds on the earlier Operational Plan for Sustainable Food Security in Asia and the Pacific (2010-2014), focuses ADB agriculture and natural resources sector operations in four priority areas:
- increasing the productivity and reducing pre- and postharvest losses of food harvests;
- improving market connectivity and value chain linkages;
- enhancing food safety, quality, and nutrition; and
- enhancing management and climate resilience of natural resources.
The outcome will be improved focus and quality of ADB agriculture and natural resources operations in meeting developing member country needs toward safe, nutritious, and affordable food for all.
- Executive Summary
- Implementation of the Plan
- Monitoring and Reporting