Pacific Urban Update 2016
ADB’s operations in the Pacific help provide essential services to growing urban populations for water supply, wastewater, and solid waste management.
Residents in the Pacific are increasingly attracted to towns, as these urban areas become centers of commerce, seats of government, and places of opportunity and hope. The urban concentration in many Pacific developing member countries (DMCs) contributes to public health risks. Diseases related to poor water, sanitation, and hygiene are prevalent. Sustainable social and economic development in the Pacific region’s cities and towns requires significant investment and corresponding institutional reforms to improve the quality of, and access to, urban services.
ADB works across the Asia and Pacific region to strengthen communities and improve lives by supporting governments, businesses, and infrastructure to operate more effectively. Together with Pacific DMCs, ADB is developing solutions on a case-by-case basis, according to the unique situation of each country and drawing upon lessons from past projects in the region.
ADB’s urban operations in the Pacific in 2016 have been focused on
- increasing access to safe water and sanitation;
- upgrading and rehabilitating transmission and distribution networks, and reducing nonrevenue water;
- climate-proofing water and sanitation infrastructure;
- capacity development of water utilities, utility reform and strengthening the financial performance of utilities;
- promoting stakeholder engagement and empowering communities in decision-making with respect to water and sanitation services; and
- Improving solid waste management services
The Pacific Urban Update 2016 discusses the program, projects, and technical assistance (TA) active in Pacific developing member countries during 2016, including projects and TA which closed in 2016. Selected pipeline program, projects, and TA proposed for 2017–2020 are also discussed.
- ADB Urban Operations in the Pacific, 2016
- Regional Initiatives
- Marshall Islands
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Papua New Guinea