Retrospective Analysis of the Road Sector, 1997-2005
This study looks back at the main achievements, issues, and challenges faced by the People's Republic of China road subsector during the study period from 1997 to 2005.
The overarching challenge facing the People's Republic of China's (PRC's) highway authorities at the beginning of 1997 was how best to expand capacity, relieve bottlenecks, and modernize the PRC's existing very limited highway system to better serve the country's rapidly growing economy and evolving agricultural and industrial structure.
- Key Issues in the Road Sector
- How Much to Spend on Which Road Investments?
- How to Pay for the Proposed Investments and Their Maintenance
- What Design and Maintenance Standards Should be Employed?
- How to Gear Up Highway Construction Capacity Quickly to Undertake a Large Highways Modernization Program
- How Can Government Policy Facilitate the Most Economic Use of the Highway Networks?