Selected Technical Assistance for Agricultural Planning and Statistics in NepalThis technical assistance (TA) performance audit report evaluates 5 advisory TAs to help formulate a 20-year Agriculture Perspective Plan to set a new direction for the sector in Nepal.
In the 1960s, Nepal was more productive than other South Asian countries. By the end of the 1980s, it lagged well behind. At the time, ADB attributed the low agricultural growth to the slow expansion in the use of fertilizer, improved seeds, and year-round irrigation, which was seen as partly due to institutional weaknesses in the Government, executing agencies, and the private sector. In January 1990, the Government requested advisory technical assistance (TA) to help formulate a 20-year Agriculture Perspective Plan (APP) to set a new direction for the sector. This was the start of a series of TAs, all revolving around the APP.
This TA performance audit report evaluates the following advisory TAs by seeking to assess their impact on agricultural policy and development:
- TA 1854-NEP: Agriculture Perspective Plan (September 1993-June 1995);
- TA 2618-NEP: Implementation and Monitoring of the Agriculture Perspective Plan (November 1996-April 1999);
- TA 2861-NEP: Supporting Agriculture Statistics Development (January 1998- December 1999);
- TA 3008-NEP: Institutional Reforms in the Agriculture Sector (August 1998- March 2000); and
- TA 3536-NEP: Agriculture Sector Performance Review (May 2001-July 2002)