10th Asia-Pacific Financial Inclusion Forum: Enabling Shared Prosperity Through Inclusive Finance—Leaving No One Behind in an Age of Disruption
9 September 2020
Time of event
12:00–15:00 Tokyo time
The annual Asia-Pacific Financial Inclusion Forum (APFIF) provides a platform for senior government officials and industry experts to formulate policy recommendations for achieving financial inclusion, inclusive growth, and improved development outcomes.
The 10th APFIF was co-hosted by ADBI, the Foundation for Development Cooperation, APEC Business Advisory Council, and Malaysia’s Ministry of Finance and discussed policy imperatives for achieving financial inclusion, inclusive growth, and improved development outcomes amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The focus was on the promotion of microfinancing, digital financial services, and e-commerce.
Additional support for the Forum was provided by the Asian Development Bank, Banking with the Poor Network, Consultative Group to Assist the Poor, MicroSave, United Nations Capital Development Fund, and World Bank, together with central bank partner, the Bank of Papua New Guinea.
- Support microfinance providers as effective contributors to economic development by enhancing growth and resilience within the sector in response to COVID-19
- Examine emerging financial inclusion lessons from the experiences of the region’s economies, new policy opportunities, and the potential implications for pandemic recovery
- Explore ways to enhance the digital finance services environment for micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises, particularly the unbanked sector
- Promote conditions for innovative e-commerce as a driver of financial inclusion
- Senior government officials, financial experts, and researchers from ADB member countries and APEC member economies
- Deepened understanding of current issues related to digitization and sustainable finance’s roles in advancing financial inclusion
- Enhanced dialogue, trust, and partnership among government officials and industry experts toward addressing inclusive finance challenges and opportunities
- Identification of financial inclusion policy lessons and best practices
- Development of policy recommendations for improving financial inclusion for APEC leaders
- Presentations featured during the Forum to be made available on the ADBI website