Time of Event
Conference: 10:30–17:30 Yokohama time
ADB-ADBI Session: 14:00–15:00 Yokohama time
Asia’s fast-growing megacities have been an engine of economic growth but are today facing profound sustainable development challenges. The region’s cities are a significant producer of carbon emissions, consume a large share of the world’s natural resources, and are confronted by COVID-19 threats to their development and resilience. The adoption of smart city solutions will be crucial ensuring the sustainability of urban development, helping to boost quality of life, shared prosperity, and social stability through diverse and innovative technologies and private-public partnerships.
Cohosted by ADBI, the Asian Development Bank (ADB), City of Yokohama, and the World Bank Tokyo Developing Learning Center, the 10th Asia Smart City Conference focused on the theme, “Building smart cities aiming for carbon neutrality through city-to-city collaboration under the influence of COVID-19.” It examined ways to support emerging Asian cities’ low-carbon transition and resilient development amid the pandemic and increasing sustainability pressures.
An ADBI-ADB session explored integrated approaches for realizing low-carbon and resilient cities. It highlighted low-carbon and resilient urban planning strategies, as well as keys to designing related policy solutions.
- Share knowledge and possible solutions for advancing low-carbon cities, a circular economy in urban areas, and smart city development
- Explore policy recommendations for supporting emerging Asian cities’ low-carbon transition and resilient development
- Build the capacity of ADB developing member countries to achieve United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 11, making cities inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable
- City representatives and government officials from related agencies in ADB member economies
- Experts from think tanks, universities, and international organizations
- Business practitioners focused on smart-city solutions and carbon neutrality
- Improved understanding of smart city development challenges and opportunities in emerging Asia
- Policy recommendations for promoting low-carbon transition and resilient COVID-19 recovery in the region’s cities
- Enhanced smart city development networks
- Presentations featured during the conference and related materials will be uploaded to the ADBI website
- City of Yokohama
- Asian Development Bank
- World Bank Tokyo Development Learning Center