Time of event
Day 1: 09:00–18:00
Day 2: 09:30–17:30
Public and private sector efforts to broaden access to financial services in Asia and the Pacific, vital to advancing poverty reduction and inclusive growth, continue to accelerate but have thus far largely failed to achieve significant progress. Currently, basic credit provision generally remains the only financial product available to low income people and is offered at an interest rate of 40% on average in the region.
The 2019 Asia-Pacific Financial Inclusion Forum will explore how to establish an inclusive financial system that viably improves the economic and social health of the disadvantaged.
Co-hosted with the APEC Business Advisory Council, the Foundation for Development Cooperation, and the Banking with the Poor Network, the forum will examine transitional issues such as addressing gender inequality and marginalized small and medium-sized enterprises as well as the role of financial technology to enhance access to finance for the underserved.
A key focus of the forum will also be on developing policy recommendations to be presented to the APEC Finance Ministers’ Process in support of their Financial Inclusion Policy Initiative.
- To facilitate public-private dialogue on financial inclusion trends, challenges, and opportunities across ADB member countries and APEC member economies
- To identify concrete policy actions to boost financial inclusion for the 1.5-2 billion unbanked and/or financially underserved in Asia and the Pacific
- To support consensus-based pathways toward greater financial inclusion in the region
Around 50 senior government officials, industry experts and researchers from ADB member countries and APEC member economies.
- The exchange of experiences, lessons learned, and new policy ideas for enabling financial inclusion and the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals
- A set of policy recommendations to promote the APEC Finance Ministers’ Process and their Financial Inclusion Policy Initiative
- Presentations and other capacity building materials from the forum to be posted on the ADBI website
How to register
By invitation only
- APEC Business Advisory Council (ABAC)
- The Foundation for Development Cooperation (FDC)
- The Banking with the Poor Network (BWTP)