Third South Pacific International Arbitration Conference
17 March 2021
Yallamundi Rooms, Sydney Opera House and virtual via Zoom
The Third South Pacific International Arbitration Conference on De-Risking Investment in the South Pacific Region through a World Class International Arbitration Disputes Regime, hosted by ADB in conjunction with UNCITRAL and other renowned arbitration institutions and development partners, aims to raise awareness and discuss the positive development impact of international arbitration reform in the South Pacific. It will also provide in-depth knowledge on the practical aspects of different types of disputes in the region and globally.
The conference will include:
- a roundtable with the international business and development community on (i) global and regional foreign direct investment in the Pacific, and (ii) mitigating investment disputes risk;
- a discussion on Pacific countries, the New York Convention, and international arbitration reform; and
- specialized interactive concurrent breakout sessions for lawyers, judges, and private sector/businesses.
The conference is the culminating event of the regional technical assistance entitled Promotion of International Arbitration Reform for Better Investment Climate in the South Pacific (the TA), which is implemented by the ADB Office of the General Counsel’s Law and Policy Reform Program. Studies have shown that ratification of or accession to the New York Convention is associated with positive economic impacts, such as increased trade flows, and net foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows. Thus, the TA has been assisting ADB’s Pacific DMCs to: (i) accede to the New York Convention; (ii) modernize existing arbitration law or draft new international arbitration law based on the UNCITRAL Model Law to implement the New York Convention and reflect international best practices; and/or (iii) provide related capacity building to the users and implementing parties.
- Highlight the positive development outcomes associated with international arbitration reform;
- Promote confidence in international business in the South Pacific and Timor-Leste through a stable disputes regime (i.e., an effective legal framework to resolve cross-border commercial disputes through international arbitration);
- Build the capacity of lawyers, judges, and private sector stakeholders in arbitration, via sector-specific sessions; and
- Link the international and regional business community with South Pacific countries, as well as Timor-Leste.
The conference will be attended by key government officials, policy makers, development partners, judges, law practitioners, and private sector participants from the South Pacific region and Timor-Leste, as well as international speakers.
How to register
Register now to join the event.
Scan QR code
Event organizers / partners
- Asian Development Bank
- Australian Center for International Commercial Arbitration
- Australian Government (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade)
- ICC International Court of Arbitration
- New Zealand International Arbitration Centre
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- The Pacific Private Sector Development Initiative
- UNCITRAL’s Regional Centre for Asia and the Pacific