The summit is the highest forum in the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Economic Cooperation Program where the leaders from the six GMS countries can (i) review and assess the progress made under the program; (ii) renew their commitment to subregional cooperation and its goals; (iii) provide support at the highest political level to the program, its projects, and activities; and (iv) provide broad directions for landmark or key initiatives under the GMS Program. GMS summits are normally held every 3 years.
The Sixth GMS Summit of Leaders, hosted by the Government of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, carries the theme “Leveraging on 25 Years of Cooperation, and Building a Sustainable, Integrated, and Prosperous GMS.”
The summit highlights the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the Greater Mekong Subregion Economic Cooperation Program, capitalizing on the strong support of member countries to showcase project results, strong partnerships among countries, ADB and other development partners, and the program’s pioneering role in regional cooperation.
To be held at the National Convention Center, Ha Noi, Viet Nam, the summit will begin with a closed-door Leaders’ Retreat on 31 March 2018, followed by a formal Summit Plenary Session. On 30 March, a GMS Business Summit will be organized by the host government. Preceding these summits will be a GMS Senior Officials’ Meeting and 6th Summit Task Force Meeting on 29 March 2018.
Day 1: 29 March 2018
GMS Senior Officials’ Meeting / 6th Summit Task Force Meeting
- The meeting will conduct final review of joint declaration, deliverables, and arrangements for the 6th GMS Summit.
Day 2: 30 March 2018
GMS Business Summit
- The GMS Business Summit will serve as an opportunity for GMS leaders, heads of international organizations, representatives of development partners, business sector and academia to share their views on key development issues of the GMS region and discuss ways to strengthen cooperation among different stakeholders.
Day 3: 31 March 2018
Leaders’ Retreat (Closed Door Meeting)
- The Leaders’ Retreat is a key component of GMS Summits. The leaders will exchange views on important issues relating to the GMS program.
6th GMS Summit Plenary Session
- At the plenary session, the GMS leaders are expected to formally adopt the Ha Noi Action Plan 2018-2022 and the Regional Investment Framework 2022, and the Joint Summit Declaration.
- GMS head of states
- GMS ministers
- GMS senior officials
- Private sector representatives
- Development partners
- ADB representatives
- Representatives from the business sector
- Academia and research institutions
To be confirmed.
How to register
By invitation. Invited participants are required to register online and will be provided a registration page in due course.Stay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.