Time of event
Improved access to financial services aids the welfare of households and the viability of small businesses. In turn, it supports the process of economic development. Financial systems have been expanding in Asian countries, offering more services for savings, credit, investment, insurance, and retirement. However, much remains to be done to provide quality services at low cost to people and small businesses, including urban and rural areas and poorer regions where banks and other financial institutions are less likely to see profitable opportunities.
The development of information and communication technologies (ICT) in the digital age provides new opportunities to increase financial inclusion, but digital finance also requires greater financial awareness and literacy. Consumers need to be fully informed of the costs and risks of the financial products on offer. The spread of digitized finance is also having an impact on the traditional activities of commercial and retail banks. They are finding that digitized finance is disrupting their traditional approaches to savings and lending and they need to find ways to provide electronic services to meet the growing demands of customers.
The Asia-Pacific Forum on Financial Inclusion is a policy initiative launched under Japan’s leadership of the APEC Finance Ministers at their 2010 meeting in Kyoto. The annual event brings together participants from the public and private sectors, including financial regulators and policy makers, multilateral institutions, financial institutions, credit information agencies, microfinance institutions, financial inclusion experts, industry organizations, and private foundations. By providing a platform for high-level dialogue on financial inclusion among policy makers and regulators across the region, the event aims to strengthen capacity as well as provide specific points of advice for policy-related issues impacting financial inclusion and the challenge of digitization in the region.
The 8th Asia-Pacific Financial Inclusion Forum represents a platform for senior government officials and other prominent stakeholders to explore ongoing challenges for financial and economic inclusion, and to discuss financial inclusion’s significance for broader economic growth and development, and for building inclusive societies.
- Provide an update of financial inclusion and financial digitization trends in Asia
- Foster discussion and awareness of issues related to financial inclusion to build the capacity of stakeholders
- Discuss policy options and solutions to increase financial inclusion and develop recommendations for policy makers and regulators to support their financial inclusion efforts
- 50 participants and speakers will be drawn from governments, financial sector regulators, financial institutions, and other organizations engaged in finance and in promoting financial inclusion and digitization
- Improved understanding of financial inclusion and digitized finance in Asia
- Better financial policies for Asian countries
- Upgraded systems to broaden financial inclusion and digital access
- Cooperation among key stakeholders involved in financial sector development
- Presentation materials, which will be available to the public (ADBI website).
How to register
By invitation only
Foundation for Development Cooperation; APEC Business Advisory CouncilStay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.