9th GMS Economic Corridors Forum and 22nd GMS Ministerial Conference
18 - 20 September 2017
Ha Noi, Viet Nam
This year, the 9th Economic Corridors Forum (ECF-9) will be held back-to-back with the 22nd GMS Ministerial Conference (MC-22). These events coincide with the 25th Anniversary of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Program, leading up to the Sixth GMS Summit of Leaders in March 2018 in Ha Noi, Viet Nam.
The theme for ECF-9 is “Deepening and Widening Benefits of the Economic Corridors Through Inter-sectoral Synergies.” The forum which will be held on 19 September will discuss initiatives to deepen and widen connectivity along the GMS economic corridors as well as multi-sector/inter-sector approaches to economic corridor development.
The MC-22 carries the theme “Greater GMS Achievements through Stronger and Pragmatic Cooperation.” The Ministerial Meeting will commence with a closed-door Ministerial Retreat followed by the formal Ministerial Meeting to take place on 20 September.
The ECF-9 and MC-22 will be preceded with a Senior Officials’ Meeting and a Development Partners’ Meeting on 18 September. ECF-9 will be held on 19 September 2017.
These meetings will bring together the GMS ministers and senior officials of the six GMS countries (Cambodia, People’s Republic of China, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Myanmar, Thailand, and Viet Nam); the GMS Business Council; and development partners.
Topics for discussion
9th GMS Economic Corridors Forum
Part I. Deepening and Widening Connectivity along the GMS Economic Corridors
- Session 1: Transport Sector Connectivity
- Session 2: Promotion of Environmentally Sustainable Regional Power Trade Planning, Coordination, and Development in the GMS
- Session 3: Mobilizing Private Sector Investment into GMS Infrastructure
Part II. Multi-sector/ Inter-sector Approaches to Economic Corridor Development in the GMS
- Session 4: Local Area Development along the GMS Economic Corridors
- Session 5: Maximizing the Benefits from Regional E-commerce
- Session 6: Panel Discussion: Trade Facilitation Along the Economic Corridors in the GMS
22nd GMS Ministerial Conference
- Session 1: Report of the Chair of the Senior Officials’ Meeting
- Session 2: Report of the GMS Business Council
- Session 3: Report of the Co-Chair of the Development Partners’ Meeting and Statements by the Development Partners
- Session 4: Consideration and Endorsement of the 22nd MC Joint Ministerial Statement
Post event/meeting outcome
ADB organized a Development Partners' Meeting, the 9th Economic Corridors Forum (ECF-9), and the 22nd GMS Ministerial Conference (MC-22) on 18-20 September 2017 in Ha Noi, Viet Nam. These events coincide with the 25th Anniversary of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Program, leading up to the Sixth GMS Summit of Leaders in March 2018 in Viet Nam.
ECF-9 discussed measures to deepening and widening connectivity along GMS economic corridors, such as multimodal transport, logistics development, and role of private sector. The ECF also discussed strengthening multi sector and intersector linkages, including border area development, role of governors forum, and cross-border e-commerce.
At MC-22, GMS ministers acknowledged the program's achievements as it celebrates 25 years of economic cooperation, and endorsed a 5-year action plan framework. The ministers welcomed the preparation of the Ha Noi Action Plan (HAP) 2018-2022, which calls for an expansion of economic corridors to boost connectivity between countries as well as within rural and urban centers to ensure a more equitable distribution of the benefits of economic growth. They also endorsed the GMS Regional Investment Framework 2022, to support the HAP through a pipeline of 222 investment and technical assistance projects valued at $64 billion.
The ministers also endorsed the GMS Tourism Sector Strategy 2016-2025 and the initiation of a new working group on GMS health cooperation, welcomed GMS strategy to promote safe and environment-friendly agriculture products, and noted the development of a new GMS transport sector strategy. See MC-22 news release.
These meetings brought together the GMS ministers and senior officials of the six GMS countries (Cambodia, People’s Republic of China, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Myanmar, Thailand, and Viet Nam); the GMS Business Council; and development partners.
Read more in the following documents:
- Regional Investment Framework 2022
- Strategy for Promoting Safe and Environment-Friendly Agro-Based Value Chains in the Greater Mekong Subregion and Siem Reap Action Plan, 2018-2022
- GMS Tourism Strategy 2016-2025